New DTR125 owner in Newcastle

This post is 2542 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all!

I've just bought a 1999 DTR 125 from a mate and took on a mini project at the same time! 

The bike is very clean and only has 4000 miles on the clock but it's been stood in a garage for about 8 years without being drained of any fluids or inhibited in any way so I have half a tank of rusty fuel and god knows what else to contend with!  I'm determined to get her sorted and back on the road though and I'm looking at the next few weeks as a bonding process! 

Apart from the obvious need to clean out the fuel tank, drain and replace all fluids, replace the spark plug and filters, can anyone think of anything else I'll need to do?  I've never worked on a DTR before and it's been years since I worked on any motorbike so I have a Haynes manual on order and I'll be looking for wise words of wisdom too!  All help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Glen.

P.S. Once I can shrink a photo enough I'll post one here, or will create a link to Dropbox. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aside from the fuel I would leave the other fluids etc, they will not have broken down far enough to be a problem yet. Turn the engine over a few times by the kick start slowly or pushing in top. Just to get the oils moving about a little. Then have a brew, then try starting her. You might just save a bunch of seals that way.

It would be prudent to strip the clutch pack and clean it up. It will suffer from something called stiction otherwise and may never properly free off. Just take it apart. Give em a wipe and put em back.

Otherwise get it running, then start changing things, the less you disturb the better till you know it runs however badly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cynic said:

Aside from the fuel I would leave the other fluids etc, they will not have broken down far enough to be a problem yet. Turn the engine over a few times by the kick start slowly or pushing in top. Just to get the oils moving about a little. Then have a brew, then try starting her. You might just save a bunch of seals that way.

It would be prudent to strip the clutch pack and clean it up. It will suffer from something called stiction otherwise and may never properly free off. Just take it apart. Give em a wipe and put em back.

Otherwise get it running, then start changing things, the less you disturb the better till you know it runs however badly.

Thanks for that!  The fuel tank has rusted on the inside so I'll get that sorted and replace the fuel line from the tank to the carb as that's hardened and split.  I'll also strip and clean the clutch pack as advised and I'll replace the spark plug as I have a new one here anyway then will then see if she'll turn over.  I'll just make sure that I drive up the hills around here and not down any for a while ;) 

If the tank is that bad and while your changing the line take the carb off, well the main body, leave the slide and such attached to the cable and clean the jets. They may be covered in crusty fuel crystals that will block things up. No point cleaning the tank and the lines to leave the carb dirty.

I would leave that plug though, would not be the first time I have bought new plugs and found one to be a dud. Not often and does happen so unless that bike was parked for an issue there is no reason the old plug wont do just fine, UNTIL ITS RUNNING.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online