Finding neutral on a Thunderace...?

Malky
This post is 2545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, can anyone offer an idea of why I find it almost impossible to find neutral when the bike is at a standstill?  On paddock stands it's fine, not running it's fine but put me on it at a standstill in traffic there ain't no way...!

I adjusted the gear shift (the Elephant Man must have been a previous owner as that's the only thing that would explain the size of the boots that would have shifted it adjusted like it was), chain slack, bled the clutch, changed the oil - semi-synthetic - but neutral is a no-go area.

I thought it may have been as the bike stood over the winter and probably didn't do many miles over the previous few years but after 100 miles or so, although it now no longer bangs into first it refuses to shift into neutral.  Could it be the clutch plates are a little sticky and it'll get better or do I need to indulge in a little light surgery with a file or...forget that and just buy a new clutch pack or....put up with it...?  After all if I coast with the clutch in at low speed hey-presto neutral appears. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sometimes I have to move the bike forward to get neutral, it happens with all 3 bikes i have.

just snick into neutral just before you stop

Some bikes are complete barstewards to get into neutral, my old NTV Honda just wouldn't go unless the engine was off, or you snicked in before the bike had stopped, or (my favourite) you revved it over 3,000rpm.

Get used to it would be my advice.

• Like 1

My old Suzuki was the same, had to change into neutral before stopping or shut it off.

Had a seriously heavy duty clutch in there though which would not have helped, but as she was making 40% more power than the stock bike :whistle:

My current bike is the same, so as others have said I'm getting into the habit of popping into neutral before stopping as that's the only way.

Not had this problem with my other bikes though, at most all I needed to do was slightly roll backwards or forwards until they slipped into neutral.

Yeh  its clutch drag,, inspect the basket when your in there, if theres grooves ,  file them flat, or the new clutch will be the same,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online