Exhaust header cleaning.

slice
This post is 2551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a quick note on cleaning the rusted downpipes on your bike. I haven't seen this before, some of you might have, but it seems to be a good trick to keep your exhaust clean and make it last longer and when you think how expensive they are to buy it makes sense to keep them for as long as possible. I don't think I have seen this on here before so it might be helpful to some of you.

The state of this guys bike and the cracks in the frame say it all really FFS!

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It contains Formic acid and Sodium hydroxide, not hydrochloric acid! so keep it off any aluminium.

That would come up just as clean with a scourer and some neat automotive soap, hell even fairy. Just take a bit longer longer.

It may well look cool and be a bit quicker but without gloves and eye protection, I have seen eyes that have been on the receiving end of acetic acid and photo's of phosphoric that had me to the point of nausea. I have also had hydroxide burns and their a bitch as they cannot be neutralised, you just have to wait till the reaction stops. It may be cool but bleach and a brush. Jesus. Imagine someone with grouch's luck doing it.

Hazard information:- http://www.beaucarehygiene.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/COSHH_PDFs/Housekeeping_Chemicals/Hard_Surface_Cleaners/HARPIC_POWER_PLUS.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Some cheap cola would probably do the job .  But those pipes need more than a clean .  Anyone ever used that pipe wrap stuff ?? It looks the business .

Yep, phosphoric acid in there so would do just as well.

i used all sorts to clean stainless headers with mixed results. autosol works well but is time consuming. alloy wheel cleaner is quite good too, but can be expensive.

Just tried this [harpic 10x a pound a bottle], fuck my boots, it works a treat. headers now shiny stainless steel [after a hard winter of commuting] in about 10 mins. anyone who is sceptical should give it a whirl. genuinely astonishing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, pilninggas said:

anyone who is sceptical should give it a whirl. genuinely astonishing.

I did think it looked good too mate. Nasty stuff to get I your eye but cleans stainless in seconds.:D

I've had the pipes on my triumph ceramic coated now but i might give this a go on my Aprilia, as they're really crusty

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk