DT 175 E timing issue

huxley
This post is 2575 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am having trouble kick starting and bumping my DT.so I have decided to check the timing,but this has baffled me.

I connected my Clock (DTI) to the plug hole and found TDC. and set the clock to zero.I then rotated the flywheel clockwise until it was 2mm advanced on the clock.I then rotated the flywheel anti clockwise by 0.2 so that the clock read 1.8mm.At this point according to the Haynes manual the mark on the crankcase which I think is at about the one oclock position and just above the bolt which holds the plate on should line up the the middle of the 3 lines on the flywheel.

I followed this procedure and the middle line on the flywheel was at about the eleven oclock position a long way from were it should be.

What am I doing wrong as there is no where near enough adjustment on the backing plate.

Look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Huxley

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My manual says to go 3-4mm past then back by the required amount. With you getting things at the 11o'clock range are you sure you didn't have a bit of a moment getting your clocks and anti's  backwards, also, sure the woodruff key is in there?

I have to admit when I did mine I didn't use a dial gauge. I did it old school with a piece of flat bar and the head nuts. Bolting the bar across the piston at tdc then using feeler gagues to set a 1.8mm gap. Put my rotor bang on at around 1 o'clock.

how many slots are in the side of the flywheel?,

the 1 o clock posn would be for the early 7 wire cdi 3 coil stator and 2 slot flywheel rotor

the 11 o clock posn would be for the later 6 wire cdi 2 coil stator and 4 slot flywheel

but this applies to the UK bikes, not the DT175E...not sure what they had but at that stage I think they were like our early version

That's good enough for me, I have the early 7 wire ig.

Airhead:hail:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,The DT 175 E has the 7 wires and the 2 slots in the flywheel.

And now for the embarrassing confession.The moment that I posted this post I i realised  that I did not know anti from clockwise.Like an idiot I was turning the flywheel the wrong way.What a fool.

The timing marks actual line up o.k.

I removed the flywheel and cleaned up the copper windings and the magnets and now when I kick it over I am at least getting a puff of smoke from the exhaust.It is just ready to fire ,but not enough from the kickstart.

I will try and bump it when I have more time.

When I do get it started I then have toi sort out the gearbox, Happy days.

Thanks for the help lads,please keep it coming no matter how obvious it seems.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online