1978 DT175E restoration

Vernjeggies
This post is 2576 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A little bit of back story:

I traded a blown up 92 RM125 to a guy for, what he said was a complete, 1979 DT175 with no papers. Had a look over everything and although the ignition wasn't assembled, it looked all there. Came with two "parts motors" so what the hell, right? 

After having it in my garage for a couple weeks while I finished up a couple repairs on my other ride, I finally got to actually dig through the parts box and run some VIN numbers to see what I had. Turns out the bike is a 78 and the engine numbers match! Also, turns out its got everything to make a complete bike. Catch is, its all for 3 different years. Closest I can figure is, he had the 78 and something happened to the ignition. He found a 76 and stripped off the wiring harness and a few other parts, and converted the 78 to points ignition, discarding the original set up completely. At some later time, the points cooked, and he found the engine from an 80. When he realized that The CDI ignition from the 80 didn't plug directly into the 76 harness, he flogged the whole bike into my open arms haha. Needless to say, its a wiring nightmare. Ive decided to buy a used complete harness and ignition set up and re set it back to 78 electrical. Then I decided, "why stop there?" 

My first restoration project was born.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Over the last couple days I got into it hard. I decided I'm going to sand blast the frame and re paint it, so I started the tear down. Got the engine out and the bulk of the rear end stripped down. 

20170326_151023_zpscoynjdj0.jpg

I'm at a stand still now though, because I'm having a serious problem getting the swing arm pivot pin out. Its seized pretty bad and it takes almost all of my 190lbs standing on the ratchet to even turn it. The nut came off easy enough, but so far heat, WD40, and hammering wont budge it.

20170327_200612_zpsudm1alq7.jpg

The swing arm wont even drop under its own weight... Anyone have experience with this at all?

5 minutes ago, Airhead said:

It's a common problem, the usual way is to saw through the pivot bolt to get it off !

Yikes! I'm a little uneasy about getting an angle grinder anywhere near there. There isn't enough room for the blade between the frame and swingarm

8 minutes ago, Vernjeggies said:

Yikes! I'm a little uneasy about getting an angle grinder anywhere near there. There isn't enough room for the blade between the frame and swingarm

not an angle grinder mate, a hacksaw blade and patience is whats required ;)

mine was stuck many years ago and I got away with it by putting a stout tube over the head of the pivot bolt and putting the other end of the tube against a wall, then rep[lace the nut flush with the end of the bolt (washer removed) and strike it with a heavy hammer to move it, it might work...it did for me.

43 minutes ago, Airhead said:

mine was stuck many years ago and I got away with it by putting a stout tube over the head of the pivot bolt and putting the other end of the tube against a wall, then rep[lace the nut flush with the end of the bolt (washer removed) and strike it with a heavy hammer to move it, it might work...it did for me.

I think tonight I'm going to try laying the frame down on the floor, support it from the under side, then trying the WD40 and a hammer again. If that doesn't work, I have a friend with a press that I might ask for a favour.

Had to cut mine. Hacksaw blade without the hacksaw, wrap some tape around one end and start sawing. Its not that hard and you make progress quick enough. Luckily its not a hardened part. And there is a gap, you need to cut through the top hat nylon bushes between the frame and the sw arm. Gives you enough room to get the blade in.

Spent yesterday tearing the engine down. The PO told me he "rebuilt the engine" before he traded it to me, but after he also said he "took all the best condition parts from the three engines and put them into that one" I knew I needed to check. Good thing I did. Re-used rings and gaskets, changed out the cylinder without even a hone, heavily greased the connecting rod bearing, and a seized oil pump. This project is something else :blink:.

20170404_171626_zpsftvpjchn.jpg

20170404_171638_zpsgkblgt6w.jpg

Then, to add insult to injury, I took the frame to my brother today to have him press out the swing arm bolt. He did a rushed job and somehow cracked the top tab in two places. Didn't even push the bolt all the way out. Turns out he was late getting to the gym... still need to get the bolt out completely to really assess, but I might be doing some fabricating and welding of a new tab in the near future.

20170404_171728_zpswqqcss2z.jpg

Most of the shiny spots are just removed paint with no actual damage, but the cracks are concerning. Lesson learned. If there's a next time, take it to the professionals. It'll be worth every penny.

Your not the first to be sold a 'rebuilt' engine thats a dud.

Looks like your in control now though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online