Proud new owner of a 1979 yamaha xs750 needs help

Brandonk24
This post is 2588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So im a recently new owner of an 1979 xs750. This is my first bike and im totally new to everything including how to restore/fix any problems but then again everyome has to start somewhere right. I am very eager to learn how to work on it and i have been doing my research on line. 

With that being said my problem is that i went on a ride to other day sounded like it needed gas so i came back and put it in and gas started coming out the carbs and it looked like the airbox. When i checked my oil you could smell gas. From researching a few things online my question is do i have something wrong with my petcocks leaking or my carbs.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Brandon, "  it will be the float valves Or  floats..  you"l need to strip the carbs,  AND, change  that oil,  as its contaminated,  [ will wash bores etc,]..  that why its running crap, = flooding ..  :wavey:

• Like 1

thanks for the reply.. I decided to tank the gas tank off and heard stuff rattling around in there so I have that soaking to get the rust out and i have taken the petcocks off to look at them. they looked bad and probably need a cleaning then after that its on to the carbs.... first time advice on cleaning carbs?

Hi Brandon.

I don’t know any specifics on your bike, but if it was my first time removing and stripping down my carbs, I would get a workshop manual and take loads of pictures to take reference from, including any routing of cables and bracketry,

Obvious I know, but it’s all too easy to jump right in  then a few weeks later wonder how and where bits went,

Aj

• Like 2

Does your bike have the Y.I.C.S system on it? If so your going to have to buy or make the yics tool to balance the carbs after you have cleaned them. From personal experience it's easier to make one than try to buy one as they are as expensive and rare as rocking horse shit, see here for how to make one http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/home-made-yics-tool-diagrams.72713/

As above take LOADS of pictures as you take them apart and buy the manual as well if you haven't already. It will have an exploded diagram in there to help you re-assemble them.

Also just as an aside do remember that the bike is METRIC not IMPERIAL nuts and bolt's. You might already have the right tools but it is a lot easier to take the bike apart with the right tools. Just sayin!

Sorry just noted that the measurements are in metric not imperial on the YICS tool picture so your going to have to figure that bit out yourself!

work on 1 carb at a time and keep the bits together. I use a cupcake tray I borrow from the wife's stash

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, drewpy said:

work on 1 carb at a time and keep the bits together. I use a cupcake tray I borrow from the wife's stash

That sounds a very good tip mate. Have you thought of numbering each 'hole' so the screws/bolts can be kept in a chronological sequence to aid rebuilding

I do the photos on stripdown on  just about everything, but usually by the time I get back to it I've either forgot my phone or the battery is flat, so the above would be a wee aid to remembering

I use a bit of cardboard, with a rough sketch of the part on it, then poke the bolts through in the appropriate places.

Stops 'em rolling about too.

• Like 4