Strange clutch on 1100 dragstar

stuckintheuk
This post is 2588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I know I haven't  been on here in a while "sorry about that" 

Basically I took my 04 dragstar in for a new clutch and ever since then it has had problems. Mainly if I take it out and ride it literally a few miles it becomes harder to change gear and if I pull up it won't go into neutral until late it's cooled down. I know people will say take it back to the garage " done that at least 8 times" my problem is they won't give a refund and say just bring it back we'll have another look, even though it seems obviously they don't no what they're doing.  Any help would be great as I've lost all faith and enjoyment from my ride thanks to these clowns.

Ps I'm in Hastings if anyone knows a proper bike mechanic.

I look forward to your replies. Cheers Russ.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Russ, well to be honest it seems that these clowns have reassembled the clutch wrong, if it was me I would take the cover off and strip the clutch down and reassemble it from the manual. For what it's worth I bet they have got the plates mixed up and it's causing heat and drag. Just a guess mind!

Difficult to put it together causing drag. Dead easy to fk the primary adjustment.

I dont mean mincing about at the lever but down at the clutch. 

My money is on the grease monkey buzzing the cover bolts off. New clutch pack. Check it goes foreward by riding it out the workshop. No ajustments as it works fine. Even though a more concientious previous owner may have adjusted for wear.

Ching lodsamoney for minimum effort please.

• Like 1

when ive done wet clutches I always soak the plates in jaso ma spec oil overnight. The reason being is that the friction material must be oiled for cooling and for optimum performance. My guess is, that it was assembled with dry plates and not even allowed idle to 20 mins and then to sit, so the plates could take up oil. Not doing this, makes the clutch grabby, short-lived and can make some plates stick to the steel plates. Also they may have fitted poor quality aftermarket clutch plates. On a bike with monster torque, only OEM should be put in there.

It needs pulling apart and careful inspection. It is highly likely the plates will now need replacment.

• Like 1

if it is hydraulic is there air in the system ? if it is cable has it got the correct play in the leaver ? if all is well you will have to follow the advice above and strip it down and inspect it as per the book normally when it is difficult to change gear or select nutral it means the clutch is dragging and not releasing correctly

Keith

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online