Engine Trouble Warning Light

Grouch
This post is 2565 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So my engine trouble warning light has started to come on for a minute and then go off. It seems to do it when the bike is on a slope. The bike is running fine and from what I can tell isn't affected.

Here's the best bit. I phoned a local Yamaha dealer to book it in to get a diagnostic. The only way to tell what is wrong is to have a Yamaha dealer hook their little machine up to the ECU and then it will give a fault code. Anyway phoned them and he said it's not worth his time so he's not bothering to book it in. Can you believe that crap? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That is crap Grouch! I'd definitely be escalating that to Yamaha.

• Like 1

I reckon it could be to do with the oil level Grouch . Just guessing though .  Check the level just to make sure it's tip top mate . If it's still running ok in a couple of weeks but the lights still coming on some strategically placed insulating tape would do the job for me .  They don't call 'em idiot lights for nothing !  Keep your ear out , and don't wring the plums off it till your sure . 

• Like 1

As Kev said, oil light can come on and off when your on a hill or braking hard if it's a bit low.

• Like 1

It could be the battery. Put a meter over it to check the battery condition, alternatively If you have breakdown, ride a few miles from your house, call them up and tell them the engine management light is on. They should be able to read the code

• Like 1

Are you sure you need to take it to a yamaha dealer to check for stored error codes?

Most efi yamahas allow you to enter diagnostic mode via the dash; cant remember off of the top of my head, but holding both dash buttons down for 10 seconds and turning the ignition on should get you in.

Getting a view of the official service manual for you machine will help.

• Like 1

Turns out I was reading the wrong section in my Haynes manual. I need to wait for the light to come on then turn the engine off. The light will flash so many times indicating the number of the fault code. Why didn't the guy at the dealers tell me this? I swear as soon as you tell them you didn't buy your bike from them they don't want to know.  I thought about it Bippo it did piss me off. They have been funny with me a few times now. Because I didn't buy my bike from them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grouch said:

as soon as (they see) you tell them you didn't buy your bike from them they don't want to know.

That's why I don't go to Yam shops in the first place.  Try turning up with a 25/28 y/o bike.  They don't even want to know you.  Even worse they look at you like ...... 'what stone did you crawl from under with that heap of junk'

That's the thanks you get for 35 years of brand loyalty. :angry:

• Like 2

So I have identified the code and the problem is: Abnormal power supply to system. possible cause: Faulty wiring/connector or faulty charging system. A few weeks ago I bought a cheap regulator and fitted that so I am thinking that is the problem? I kept the old regulator so I will refit that and see if that resolves it. I'm just going to have to wait until it stops pissing it down so I can do it and check all the wiring etc. It's a weight off of my mind knowing it's an easy fix, I was thinking all sorts of crap haha. The problems I have I was thinking I'm due a new engine about now.

• Like 1

Mind and check the oil, too,,          just piece of mind,    I never trust electics,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Yeah I've been checking it. I don't mess about when it comes to oil. I even buy the really good stuff. Just sick of the weather holding me back now. I need a garage. All the people I know with them have them filled with junk etc so can't get in. I'm debating whether or not to just go to the local petrol station and do it under their shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you change the regulator in the first place?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online