yamaha xvs 650 knackered

This post is 2543 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

driving home from work today and I kept losing drive. like when I came off the accelerator the drive went on the bike almost instantly. and I started to hear an odd rattle. about 5 miles later the bike started choking. it soon cut out and I had to hold the clutch to coast to a safe spot to stop. when I managed to get it started again it sounded like the piston was battering off the casing. any ideas what this could be and if a novice like me could have a go at fixing it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep, sometime you have to bite the bullet and send it into the shop. THEN you buy the manual read it till your eyes bleed and buy the best tool kit you can afford get a mate who knows about bikes to come visit (tea and biscuits optional) and start from there, about 10 years later you'll be pretty good.

50 minutes ago, slice said:

Yep, 1.sometime you have to bite the bullet and send it into the shop. 2.THEN you buy the manual read it till your eyes bleed and buy the best tool kit you can afford 3.get a mate who knows about bikes to come visit (tea and biscuits optional) and start from there, 4.about 10 years later you'll be pretty good.

Been in the Yammy game for 30 odd years now .............. never got past 1 :lol:

1 hour ago, slice said:

Yep, sometime you have to bite the bullet and send it into the shop. THEN you buy the manual read it till your eyes bleed and buy the best tool kit you can afford get a mate who knows about bikes to come visit (tea and biscuits optional) and start from there, about 10 years later you'll be pretty good.

11 minutes ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

Been in the Yammy game for 30 odd years now .............. never got past 1 :lol:

Never had the cash or faith in option 1. As the son of a mechanic (brave man who calls my ol man a fitter) never afraid of spanners. Plus, something to have pride in. Knowing that the bearings are greased, bolts are tight because you did them for you. Not someone grinding to 5pm thinking more about his bike than yours.

Option 2 was the only option. Ever.

6 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Never had the cash or faith in option 1. As the son of a mechanic (brave man who calls my ol man a fitter) never afraid of spanners. Plus, something to have pride in. Knowing that the bearings are greased, bolts are tight because you did them for you. Not someone grinding to 5pm thinking more about his bike than yours.

Option 2 was the only option. Ever.

If you have the knowledge, proper tools/gear & space in the workshop, fair enuf.

Lying on my back/sitting on me arse (knees won't bend for that long) on a concrete garage floor with suspect spanners and not having a clue what yer doing, your likely to do more damage that is good for yerself ..... or the bike.  $$ is the only option with a trusted quality shop.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

• Like 1

Yeah paying for a mechanic aint really an option. ive asked a couple of mates to have a look and listen for me. as soon as i know what's broke I need to give it a bash maself cause i cant really afford to pay for parts and service. I have tools and whatever tools I don't have ill make use with what I've got. beg borrow or steal ill get the bike back on the road 

Good for you mate, nothing teaches you faster than having to do it yourself. Just remember one job at a time,leave the multi tasking to the women, and do one job properly.

• 3 weeks later...

eBay for an engine is your best bet then

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, stevie-boy-smith-jrII said:

with some help the bike got stripped. and it wasn't good :( metal shavings through the the entire engine. cam shaft, camshaft probe fuckin everything wrecked. 

needs a new engine. proper gutted man

Ok, being that man that has said before "is it you fuckt, or me fuckt". Cos I don't think that engine will be that bad.

Yes there is metal everywhere boo hoo. These engines have an epic rep for dependability, you don't get that from an engine that dies at the first hitch, like the rover v8 the abuse they can take is legendary. So looking past the doom and gloom of the swarf which is not ideal but will ultimately wash off whats the problem.

I would strip it properly, right back to the cases as I have with my daughters bike which also has a supposedly totally fkt engine. Check everything. I bet you will find A, emphasis on 'A' knackerd component from a less than intelligent moment by a previous owner.

With the engine stripped out, clean everything up removing the metal swarf and see what you have. With some luck you could get away with gaskets a few bearings and a set of rings. Maybe a timing chain, but you will have a far better engine for that.

I know there are folks that use money to fix things but believe me, the money for another engine will not be cheap, there fetching 700 to a grand condition dependant. That is also no guarantee that the new engine wont shit its self in 3 months, really nice xvs's are not routinely broken for spares, the fact spares are rare on a bike that has been in production for so long without any great changes speaks for its self, only the ropey ones that have little bling left or bikes that get smashed up beyond repair get to the breakers. By definition that means any breakers engine is unlikely  be as good as yours could be with some elbow grease.

You don't have any thrown rods or holes in cases, your gearbox is fine etc. Just the metal to clean. Hell, despatch riders use em, can't get a better endorsement to the strength than that.

Anyway piece said. If you were closer I would gladly help.

• Like 3

Cynic is right, don't go down the spare engine route unless there is a hole in the casing and the gearbox is fucked! An easy repair if you take your time and are logical when it comes to the stuff you need to do. Gasket set a gallon of paraffin for washing down and patience, plus a group of guys who will try to help out with your questions is all you really need mate.

• Like 1

I can get a virago 535 engine for cheap as chips all day long and as far as I'm aware it has higher hp than the 650 dragster. does anyone know if the virago would fit into the dragster frame?   cause I could do that n it means I could spend time getting the 650 engine sorted. cause without my bike it costs me 60 quid a week getting to work so i need a ride now. 

Then get a £600 bag of bolts off of ebay, that will give you 10 weeks to get the other one up and running while still riding what ever you can find. Then sell it and get some of your money back. Got to be cheaper than using public transport and a LOT more fun.

• Like 2

Based on symptoms and swarf everywhere, I'd think a lower end bearing has gone, which means the con rod is likely hammered, too.

At best, a number of parts will need re-machining...

cam probe gone. top end bearings gone. bottom end bearings gone. could be better but could be worse. I'm taking your advice slice n getting the parts n fixing it myself so I'm gonna treat myself n get another bike to use noo. I'm gonna get a more weather forgiving bike since I use it every day. I seen a bmw r850r online and liked the look of it. also looking at a triumph trophy not sure what one to go for and if I'd even be able to ride them cause I'm only 5 foot 7. ma Mrs is one lucky lady with me getting another bike and her having the pleasure of an engine sitting on the kitchen table for a month. can't wait to see her face when she realises what I'm gonna do 

• Like 1

The trophy's are nice and low, big old bikes though! Is it the 900 or 1200?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online