New chain and sprockets

Grouch
This post is 2495 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just had to fit a new chain and sprockets to my bike again, I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th set now. I was going to do it myself but the weather has been terrible, constant rain and I don't have my own garage or shed. I got a really good quality set so hopefully it will last a bit longer. When I asked the mechanic that fitted it he said 125's do go through chains and sprockets a lot quicker than high capacity bikes, so it's normal for me to go through them pretty quick. I was debating whether or not to put a rear sprocket with more teeth on to give me more acceleration but after thinking about it I thought it would be pretty dumb. I didn't want to put any strain or pressure on the engine or other components. I figured the engineers at Yamaha knew what they were doing and had already worked out that the standard 53 tooth one was the best for the bike otherwise they would not have gone with that sprocket for my model of bike.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

keep it well oiled every time it rains or fit a loobman. it should make your chain and sprockets last longer.

I used to get 3k on my 125 rear tyre but can't remember replacing the C&S 

I've got a gold chain fitted so my plan is to keep it gold. Once it starts to get a bit dirty I will clean it and of course keep it lubed. I was thinking of fitting an oiler type device but they are expensive and from what I have read online they make a right mess.

Just had a look and they look great. I think I'm going to try one, also looks like a good way to recycle old oil. 

Here you go mate, only thing is seems to make you sing REALLY badly!!

That video was just... mesmerising...

|I'm going to make a chain oiler for the TDM using the carb bulb off a chainsaw, a spare brake resevoir and some tubing.

fitting it on the handlebars and route to the chain guard  and see if it will loob under the chain

• Like 3

Looks good. Do I assume the 'chainsaw primer bolt' actually pumps it or do I need to pump the bolt

6 hours ago, jimmy said:

Looks good. Do I assume the 'chainsaw primer bolt' actually pumps it or do I need to pump the bolt

i assume you mean bulb?

I think they have a one way valve,(looks like a diapram one to me) I got 4 for £2 off ebay

I really like that, simple, effective, think I will have a go at that myself on mine.

Looks inexpensive too, those brake fluid res are only a couple of quid for the ebay cheapies.

As for a squirt every 6 miles, really, and the spotless back end, that is poetic licence. No dead bugs on the front neither. That was cleaned to within an inch of its life before that vid.

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

i assume you mean bulb?

Yes, I looked them up on fleabay after I posted, but couldn't be arsed editing it

Hi Grouch , I use an old scottoiler bottle  that has a plastic tube attached .Before you ride ,  put the bike on the mainstand , spin the wheel , and squirt some oil on the chain . Takes 30secs  ,  I use oil leftover after oil changes (not the old stuff , although you could) .  My chain's always clean , no gunk , and they last pretty well .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2017 at 6:23 PM, drewpy said:

|I'm going to make a chain oiler for the TDM using the carb bulb off a chainsaw, a spare brake resevoir and some tubing.

fitting it on the handlebars and route to the chain guard  and see if it will loob under the chain

Drewps

Did you make this up and if so how does it work.

Thinking of a new chain and sprocket set and if so will be looking for a chain oiler

got a scottoiler really cheap off facebook.

still have the parts, just never got round to assembling them.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online