DT 175 E gearbox help.

huxley
This post is 2579 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anyone please help me with the gearbox on my DT. I can only get second gear.I have removed the clutch and taken a photo of the selector.There are 2 marks which line up on the drum and the shaft and another arrow. Should this line up with something ?

Cheers

I have tried to insert the photo,but am unable to.How do I do this.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds drastic, is this post rebuild?

There are some arrows, the centre arrow lines up with a dot on the selector drum shaft so that is properly aligned but its not something that normally gets disturbed. The other is around the outer rim and should line up with a dot on the case, round about the 1o'clock position I think.

Been a while since I was in mine.

Thanks for that,I have taken a photo of the positions but could not attach it to my message.Do you know how to do this.I tried dragging the photo  but I was told that I could only upload 503KB of data ?.

I have not rebuilt the engine as it only has 6000 miles on it.The crankcase looks like it has never been split.

6000ks.

Nope that is very unlikely that its been split.

When you say 'only' get second. Can you expand on that.

How, where etc.

These engines are ridiculosly strong if not powerful it will be something minor. Unless you have been a real clutz with your gearchanges and bent a selector.

I bought the bike a month ago.It is an american import 175 E 1978.

When I bought the bike the seller said it would only bump off as he had put a pattern carb on it and it was not set up properly so I took him at his word.

I have been sorting the electrics out first as they were a mess.

I have not had the bike running yet.I can only pull the gearlever up into second gear while the engine is not running.It will not go down into first or up past second.

I will try and upload the photo I took.

Cheers

That is common when the engine is not running. The gearbox is not like a car, the gears need to be moving to locate cleanly.

Put the clutch back on the splines and use it to rock the input shaft (what the clutch is fitted to) and the gears will most likely select easily..

Thank you,that was my next plan of attack.

I will let you know the outcome

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online