1999 virago 125cc starter problem

Leo vidir
This post is 2530 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys how are all of you doing.

I was hoping some of you could advice me on this matter. I got a 1999 virago 125cc. The starter wont start the bike
It wont even make a noise nothing. I have to hit second gear and run with the bike to get it to turn on. After it turns on everything works geart and when it gets hot enough the starter will work just fine... I changed the battery spark plugs cleaned out the carburetor and i even took a part the starter from the handel bars apart and cleaned it. Nothing is working and i reallly dont know what else to do here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

I wanted to seek assistance threw here because im not from the US and mechanics here usually try to rip you off if they see you dont know much about motors. Im new to the motorcycle world and this is my first bike.

Thanks guys!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's always possible that the brushes inside the motor have worn down so that your not getting a good contact, it's easy to replace them with a bit of knowledge and the right manual. Just cos your from the Colonies don't mean your the only one that get's ripped off mate.:lol: Seriously it is easy. take the starter motor off then undo the 2 through bolts (they will be tight) then pull the back off, pull the spring back take out the old brush put in a new one, here's where the swearing goes in this situation, do the other side and put it back together. Simple.

• Like 1

Cant be urgent , hes not been back on since 45mins after his post,,,   1 Hit---------------------------:P

Thanks guys for all the help!  Ill try the burshes idea and see what happens....

Dude dont be a dick is not that is not urgent i didnt even know i was logged off. I posted in a couple of places and this was the only one they answered me at so i am thank full for the help. I just need to wait for the 10th to get paid and see what i can do... Stuff aint cheap bro one EUR of yours is 30 of mine...

Any who when i get paid ill try this and let you guys know...

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Whats up guys. I know its been a while but i was finally able to sort out the  starting problem i had.

It turns out that it wasnt compressing right because one of the rings on the pistons was cracked. So i changed all the rings to be 100% sure and wala! The bike runs like a champ now. 

Thanks for all the help!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online