Sorry being a bit dim.....

Cynic
This post is 2574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, just trying to order some nuts and bolts for the Aprilia and got myself in a cunfuxed state. I know bikes are nominally metric fine, but! I don't actually know what that is :icon_redface: .

Im seeing 0.8 coarse, 0.8 fine etc. But then there is 1.0 and 1.25 also in both coarse and fine. Feels a stupid question but what do I actually want.

I have just got generic catchall kits for UJM in the past, never really thought about what metric fine was as such.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

aldi have got tap and die sets in, they are not the very best but they always have a thread guage in there and they are good for chasing threads after painting etc

https://www.aldi.co.uk/34-piece-tap-%26-die-set/p/093869111217400

34-Piece-Tap-&-Die-Set-A.jpg?o=2FjuzWgQT

11 hours ago, matt7chunk said:

Think you'll find that that's the thread pitch (distance between one thread to another)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I knew what it was just didn't know WHAT it was if that makes any sense. Like  plonking the key on a piano makes a specific music note, couldn't tell you what note though.

As I see it now M6 is 1.0 for metric fine and M8 is 1.25. The smaller M5, M4 etc are only one pitch (fine, although between .8 and .6) anyway unless you want to special order.

For clarity M6 X 1 and M8 X 1.25 are both metric coarse pitch, fine would be M6 X 0.75 (Non-Preferred) and M8 X 1

You can specify and get fine pitches in the smaller parts but they are classed as Non-Preferred in the standards, we actually produce a M8 X 0.5 Nut for a German company which would be classed as Extra, Extra Fine pitch.

Hey Andy, where have you been?

Hi Jase! Been really busy at home - wife still not well after her broken leg in July and had to have so much time off work they let me go last week. Got time to be about on here now though [emoji3]

Hi Andrew nice to hear from you mate.:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 3:29 AM, drewpy said:

aldi have got tap and die sets in, they are not the very best but they always have a thread guage in there and they are good for chasing threads after painting etc

https://www.aldi.co.uk/34-piece-tap-%26-die-set/p/093869111217400

34-Piece-Tap-&-Die-Set-A.jpg?o=2FjuzWgQT

Problem is dies are tapered so its hard to be accurate, thread gauge is best if you can

4 hours ago, anyoldiron said:

Problem is dies are tapered so its hard to be accurate, thread gauge is best if you can

I've already said there's a thread gauge in the kit! :whistle: