Indicators not working

Spike101uk
This post is 2598 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok I'm sure someone is gonna answer this pretty quick but I've installed new indicators plain old bulb ones bought from china on ebay,  installed rear ones first and checked and they worked fine I've installed front and now only thr front right hand side and left rear side work and they flashing double speed, 

Any ideas 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you accidentally stuck a bmw badge on it? I find vehicles with bmw on them seem to have indicators that dont work....

• Like 2

Check your bulbs, are they the right voltage and wattage? Should read something like 12V 10W. Better still look in your manual and see what type is correct.

Just done this , original say 12v 15w new ones are 12v 10/5w but the bayonet connection is slightly diffirence one of the pins is higher than other so popping to halfords to see if I can get original wattage with new fittings 

Might flash a bit faster, unless the relay is a solid state jobby. Of course, if they've got 15 and 21 Watts on the shelf, take the 15s, it's just that 21 is more common (standard in pre-LED cars and so forth).

Yea cab only find 5w/21w duel filiment , it has a parking light option but I've blanked that wire off, would this make any diffirence if I just used the one filiment for indicators 

Also would that explain why with original front signals and new rear both rear ones worked untill I wired in the new ones at front 

Ok please tell me if this is a dumb idea but original ones were 15 w new ones are 5w/10w duel filiment,  wot if I just wire both filiment up , as 5 and 10 make 15 right :blink:

You're not looking in the right place. Any car parts shop, Hellfrauds, motor factors, even your local petrol station will have shitloads of single filament indicator bulbs. You cannot use a dual filament bulb in a single filament socket, the bayonets won't line up and the contacts on the bottom are different (2 for a dual, 1 blob for single). Take your original bulb into your local motor factors and ask the bloke behind the counter for more like that one.

OK, stop everything, hold the bus, don't touch that dial!

Just read this whole thread from the start again to find out if I'm missing something:

Original post - You fitted new indicators (from China) and they didn't work properly.

Your second post - The bulbs in the new indicators are dual filament 10/5W

Your 4th post - They have a parking light option that you've ignored.

Soooooooo ...... a parking light (daytime running light?) in the indicators is not something I normally see.  Presumably the new indicators have 3 wires, one ground, one for the 10W and one for the 5W filament, (or maybe 2 wires for the filaments and ground is taken care of by the body of the indicator), yes?  If they were mine I'd be wiring both filaments into the indicator circuit and leaving it at that, 15W indicators, sorted.

Make sure you know which wire is which, cross connecting earth and 5 (or 10) would give "interesting" results!

Can I ask why you changed indicators in the first place, and why you went for dual purpose jobbies instead of simple plain, old-fashioned winkers?

• Like 2

Yep 3 wires one each for filiment and one ground

Changed them as they were matt black and looked a lot nicer than thr plastic chrome that's on my bike 

Got them really cheap on ebay and they came with the 3rd wire parking light, 

Ok as KP says wire BOTH 5 and 10 watt wires together then connect to the input (power) side as normal, that should give you what you want.

Life lesson number one "cos it's cheap don't mean it's rubbish" but you do usually get what you pay for!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online