A slightly different mode of transport...

wild foamy
This post is 2518 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps. 

As those of you following my Facebook profile may have already seen, I've dragged another decrepit contraption out from behind the block. 

The chappy is going over to my storage unit for a few years, I'm slowly emptying my garage on base in preparation for the big move. 

One of my more forgotten projects is 'Junk-Junk'... The name says it all, two bits of junk bodies together. 

The bike came from ebay, some guy dragged it out of his garden and I bought it unseen, it's covered in rust but the wheels are fairly round so it works fine, cut up some straps to make handlebar grips.

The engine came from an autojumble, and is in similar condition, two-stroke and bunpstart with a little clutch plate to let it freewheel. the tank I don't really know... Others say it's from an old 1950s paraffin heater, it has a glass front and looks pretty dam Steampunk... 

It's currently missing the ignition coil and chain for the engine side of things, so it's just boring pedal power to get to work but still better than walking, as soon as I find the coil and a donor bicycle I'll get the rest of it assembled and see what happens, the OC at my new section is keen into bicycling so more than anything I'm using it as a piss take.  

DSC_1310_zpss8xo2mwc.jpg

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OOh" la "la, stevie,   .you"l be iike them Frenchmen, with the onions hanging on the bars,,B)

Whats your face book page under,

He's not, he just likes the vibration

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

There are different wheels available, one of them is known as a 'flip-flop' wheel, which has a one-way sprocket on one side like a conventional bike, and a fixed sprocket on the other side for velodrome riding and stuff where even when you stop pedaling it will turn the chain, usually you flip the wheel over according to which sprocket you want to use, but I'm planning to use both, one for the pedals and the other side for the engine

Rear tyre exploded today though (probably original, about 30 years old) which sent me down the road on my arse... Cycling sucks. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wild foamy said:

There are different wheels available, one of them is known as a 'flip-flop' wheel, which has a one-way sprocket on one side like a conventional bike, and a fixed sprocket on the other side for velodrome riding and stuff where even when you stop pedaling it will turn the chain, usually you flip the wheel over according to which sprocket you want to use, but I'm planning to use both, one for the pedals and the other side for the engine

Rear tyre exploded today though (probably original, about 30 years old) which sent me down the road on my arse... Cycling sucks. 

isn't there a glaring flaw in your plan to use both cogs?

the driven cog is supposed th be on the RH side of the bike..., it screws to the hub in a clockwise direction and so applying a drive tends to keep it screwed to the hub, so then, if you also apply a drive to the LH sprocket from the engine...it unscrews the sprocket from the hub!...fuck!!

and also, even if this wasn't the case at all...the puny threads on the aluminium wheel hub are strong enough to stand up to the rigors of human power...possibly not the more powerful engine!

and also, motorcycle engine tend to have rear sprockets many times larger than drive sprockets, yet the available sprocket on this flip flop hub will be similar in size to the drive....you'll need to be doing 30mph at idle lolzzz

Hmm, didn't think of the unscrewing problem... Never actually ridden a bicycle other than the occasional 'found' mountain bike whilst inebriated ... If I can't tig weld the sprocket im gonna need some loctite. 

As per the engine... I think it's 30cc, so I doubt it will be more of a mechanical strain than some of the roid-pumped power rangers you see out on the main roads with a go-pro and a deathwish. 

It's either going to work or fail in a hilarious fashion... 

• Like 2

to be honest I'm kinda just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, most of the section I work with are big into bicycling and wearing lycra, so it's kind of a running joke aswell. 

Gives me something to do at work, besides actually working... And drinking tea... I've got like three months left in service and in my head I've pretty much checked out already. 

Might just do away with the pedals altogether, flip the wheel and go everywhere in reverse and see what happens. I'm not nearly sober enough to formulate an effective design right now 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online