Xvs650 something a bit different!

Ollie666
This post is 2386 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So on Friday the frame swing arm and brackets came back powdercoated, well chuffed!

1_17.jpg

5_18.jpg

3_20.jpg

2_19.jpg

4_19.jpg

Chuffed with them, Ended up finding another blaster who has said he will do his best with the wheels and engine so they went over there Friday so fingers crossed! Now its a cash of painting all the other bits and bobs that I didn't want grit too get into! Spent yesterday evening painting this

6_14.jpg

Came out alright! Cant wait too get everything done and start piecing it together :)

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I need to ask, What is in the boxes?

• 1 month later...

And were back too it! Had a lot of hassle with blasting bits, held us up a lot! But were back in the game now and boy has it been worth the wait! Managed to get everything thrown together Monday night and im over the moon!!

3_21.jpg

2_20.jpg

4_20.jpg

5_19.jpg

To say im happy is an understatement, its blown my mind, the tyre container is docking on the 10th of may, brand new tyres just been produced, watch this space, for regular updates were on facebook and instagram as blackdirtcycles!

thanks for looking

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what reaction you were looking for Ollie? You have done a beautiful job and most folks have been impressed especially with the welding mate. Tho to be honest with you I never really liked the external fuel gauge arrangement on any of the bikes I have owned, I think it was the AJS or some such that really put me off as it was cut twice when I parked it up. Still if you like it then that's enough. As I said you have done a sterling job over all. Just a suggestion tho, carry a couple of blanking caps or a spare bit of pipe for the fuel gauge thingy as when some dumb arse does cut it at least you can get to a garage.

Appreciate your feedback dude, Had thought about that with the pipe being cut, im hoping that no one is sad enough to do that for 10-15quids worth of fuel but having said that theres a lot of pond life out there I guess! Im prepared to take a chance though! I will definitely be taking your advice and carrying round some spare pipe :D

• Like 1

I can see people cutting that pipe not to nick fuel. Just to fk you up.

I have been at shows, one with my mate and his bandit they nicked the balance blanking rubbers so it ran like a bag of spanners for the awards.

My dad had little bits of insulation tape stuck up inside the plug caps so he couldnt do the arena parade (was a mainly brit bike rally though) on his cb175. Took a while to suss out too.

And their supposed to be FELLOW enthusiasts.

• Like 1

If it happens it happens, worst case its a 50p piece of pipe and at best 10-12quids worth of fuel, I can live with that, well providing the fuel doesn't go all over the engine and ruin the paint then ill be p*ssed lol

• 1 month later...

2 steps forward 3 steps back

4_21.jpg

We really weren't happy with the finish on the engine, so we tore it all down again and repainted it in the pj1 wrinkle paint, which seems to have gone on a hell of a lot nicer, so the engines now fitted back in the frame!

Also done a test panel taking the paint off on the engine fins, nice little touch pretty sure we will be doing the whole engine at some point

7_13.jpg

Next up was the single Harley carb manifold, not finished yet but its ready to be welded once the plates come back from the laser cutters!

5_20.jpg

6_12.jpg

Also got a cone to go onto the carb receiving end to bring it up to the correct diameter.

Cheers for looking, holidays this week for both of us, the 30th of july deadline is fast approaching! Fingers crossed we can pull something out of our @rse

• 3 weeks later...

So here's where were at now, tyres finally arrived! We were first to purchase the new 15'' TT classic so I was told, waited long enough for the container!! Managed to get them fitted to the wheels and fitted to the bike, super chuffed with the outcome! Next issue we run into is the fact that I did the j-slam mod when the bike was first purchased and now it sits way too low, and obviously its been powder coated so we need to find another way around that without hacking at the frame!

14_9.jpg

10_10.jpg

12_11.jpg

13_9.jpg

15_8.jpg

Its come out a million times better than I thought it would if im honest, everything else we need is in the post, got to build an exhaust from scratch and the carb manifold needs finishing, got to build all of our cables and fit all the lights etc, rear fender and wiring! Not to far away now! Let me know what you think, its come a long way from a standard dragstar :)

• Like 1

Looking good! It is quite low though isn't it? Lol.

Physically I wouldn't say so, but the swing arm against the seat and frame (although the seat has no springs yet) its still very close and its lost the straight line where the swingarm follows down from the frame which is also bothering me, we were wondering if it would be possible to extend the shock somehow?

I guess you could fit a longer shock from another model, or fit shorter dog bones, but I'm not sure if that will achieve what you want to

Looking good ollie,,,   av missed this  build,  [    god knows why]       il ike   the fuel guage,,,,  :thumb:

Cheers Black hat means a lot!

So this weekend has been quite a turning point for the bike in my eyes, and its going to be very marmite for some people, I love it and that's all that matters I guess! This is what happens when you run out of parts and have nothing else to do!

Here she is in her current condition

2_22.jpg

1_20.jpg

Let me know your thoughts guys, love getting feedback! Not a lot left to do, finish the exhaust, finish single carb manifold, wiring loom,and then that's pretty much it! Cant wait!

Honestly, speaking as a confirmed long time 2 stroke nut.

I will admit to liking cruiser muscle bikes and would love a vmax, even to the point of test rides in a couple of bike shops but having 4 bikes already wifey dropped the hammer said no unless I sell the others.

The one thing I have never got my head round is ape hangers, sorry.

Nice wide set of cow horns giving it a really laid back  look works for me. You certainly have the skills and the space to create something special. Will keep watching.

Honestly dude I don't even have a leg to stand on, as ive never ridden with apes, I just want to be riding and people to think what the f#ck is that, or how the hell is he riding that! I know ill probably get aches and pain doing long journeys etc but sitting on it now stationary if feels like a lovely position (ask me again after its on the road lol) but its the same with the legs, foot extensions have been kicked forward 6 inches, arms and legs are literally both stretched out straight!

Did you sort out the ride height to get the diagonals to line up. Will you not be stuck between it being right when your riding, or right when its parked up? 

Basically as it is now at the back is how its staying and that's at its lowest, once you sit on it the seat does touch the fender so were going to solid mount the seat but with a bar of sorts within the spring, well that's our plan anyway, and then ill be bringing the front down a smidge too to match it! We made a bar to replace the sgock temporarily at stock ride height and the bike just didn't look right, so went back to the original plan