Regulator

Georgepower
This post is 2619 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I've been told I need a new regulator for my '97 Thundercat.The garage has quoted me £70 for the regulator and an hours labour to fit it so well over £100.This seems a bit steep to me and I was wondering how difficult is it to fit myself.

Also I'm not sure if I even need one as I have a brand new battery fitted which is reading around 13 and a steady 14.25 volts when running?.. Does this sound about right or are the readings a bit high?

Cheers 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The reg/rec sits inside the right side of the frame, underneath the tank.
Not sure if you have carbs or anything else that need removing, but it should be fairly straightforward and easy to access.

It should take 2 or 3 bolts undoing and a single plug unplugging to remove the actual unit, with the reverse for swapping in the replacement part. It'd probably take you an hour going slowly and carefully, but you'd save yourself a few squid and get some spanner time under your belt.

IIRC, the battery should return about 12.3v but under 13.2v when everything is off. Only when you rev the engine a touch (as in an extra 500-ish rpm) should the voltage increase to no more than 14.8v, which is why bike headlights often go brighter when you open the throttle - It doesn't charge at idle. If it's reading over 14.8v when you rev it up, then the reg/rec is stuffed and not regulating the additional charging current.

I'm sure some others better versed in the sorcerous arts of electrickery will chip in with some battery checks and things to help confirm your problem, but in the meantime this may be of useful reading: http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62130

• Like 1

Tasky is right, best part of 13v without engine running. If you turn the ignition on then that might drop if your headlights are always on. With the Engine running anything near 15V will cook the battery. 14.2V at 4krpm would be considered ideal. (I think)

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

New reg/rec is £79 at Wemoto, so they're pretty honest about that, at least... assuming they know which is the right one and aren't overcharging for a cheap junk one, of course! ;)

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, neversaydie said:

That sounds about right to me. 

Who told you you need a new one, and what problem have you been having. Describe.

Basically I hadn't ridden my bike for a couple of weeks (work got in the way) and when I went to start it the battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge after I charged it so I bought a new battery from a local garage that I've been to for a few things in the past and was told to bring it back in a few days to get the charging system checked and when I took it back the mechanic said that the voltage on the new battery was a little high which probably meant I needed a new regulator.

They've never steered me wrong in the past but to be fair I've only had a service and a little bit of welding done there and you just never know if they're just trying to make a quick quid off ya,yeah I know I'm a cynical old sod!! lol

Anyway I've got it booked in to another garage in a few days for a second opinion and if they say the same thing then I'll get it done at the original place.

I just don't wanna spend another £100 if I don't have to. 

17 minutes ago, neversaydie said:

Here you go.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

Refer to step 3. You may save yourself the cost of a new reg/rect

If it checks out ok, then ride the bike, then check again.

Cheers for that... TBH that's the reason I want a second opinion cos what it said in section 3 was basically exactly what I saw on the volt meter when he checked it!.. But like I say I'll see what the other lot have to say then make a decision.

Here's a picture of the old girl BTW...

8 minutes ago, Georgepower said:

Cheers for that... TBH that's the reason I want a second opinion cos what it said in section 3 was basically exactly what I saw on the volt meter when he checked it!.. But like I say I'll see what the other lot have to say then make a decision.

photo.JPG

Sorry, bollocks to that.

Carry on as you were and if, that's IF it goes flat on you get another opinion. I wouldn't trust any dealer/mechanic without a lot of evidence to show their worth.

Meanwhile educate yourself on testing it, far far cheaper by a significant amount of money even with buying the meter (tenner tops of fleabay). Its a simple test too.

29 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Sorry, bollocks to that.

Carry on as you were and if, that's IF it goes flat on you get another opinion. I wouldn't trust any dealer/mechanic without a lot of evidence to show their worth.

Meanwhile educate yourself on testing it, far far cheaper by a significant amount of money even with buying the meter (tenner tops of fleabay). Its a simple test too.

That's what I thought... It's only because he said if I keep riding it as it is I'd f*^k the new battery and have to buy another one plus getting the regulator done,yeah Ebay it is I think!...

46 minutes ago, Georgepower said:

photo.JPG

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online