Memories of my Dad!

slice
This post is 2364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just thought you might like to share in a moment from my history?

I was watching a film about Ramree island in Burma during the second world war, my dad was there with the royal air force as a radio operator for the air force while they took the island and eventually Burma back from the Japanese, he saw CHANGI where the Japanese had held prisoners of war during the final years of the war and has no sympathy for the Japanese at all. Anyway the TV program was about the mass killing of Japanese soldiers by crocodiles as they tried to escape from the allied forces and get back to their home. Was not really expecting to see anything of real interest but just to get an over view of what it was like for my Dad when he was there 70+ years ago. I decided to watch the thing right to the end even including the final few reels of film that were shot as the troops entered onto the island, and guess what! there was MY DAD riding on the front of a tank (SEE PHOTO) you could have knocked me down with a feather, how often have you seen your father from 70 odd years ago younger now than both my son's, I was astonished and to tell the truth moved much more than I can say here ( being a big hard biker!) I confess to shedding a tear when I saw this, I couldn't stop thinking "THAT'S MY DAD! Just thought you might find this interesting in one of those life can kick you in the nut's moments

My+DAD%2521.JPG

• Like 9

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Amazingly my grandfather signed up in 39 and did the burma campaign start to finish. I always look to see if i might spot him one day in old film. He  rarely spoke about it sober, came home late 1948. 

No surprise my ol lady was born mid 49 eh?

• Like 1

amazing, and brilliant to see that. No wonder you were floored.

I have a relative of the nissus who was a POW in japan.

They were that brutal the poor man killed a Japanese officer with his bare hands he was beating the shit out of his buddy. The other officers just watched as he must have had a terrible rep.

that's all I got from his missus (sadly passed now) and he used to wake up screaming because of his experiences. he's still emaciated now so I supposed the body never recovers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drewpy said:

that's all I got from his missus (sadly passed now) and he used to wake up screaming because of his experiences. he's still emaciated now so I supposed the body never recovers

When I was in hospital with pneumonia across from me was a WW1 veteran, old, frail, barely moved never spoke a word.

Middle of the night he would wake up, sit up shouting in a voice that could still have made a private nervous, "The bastards, man the guns, their coming, wait for your shot, flares! flares! get those bloody flares up". And then the nurses would shush him down and he would be back to frail old man. Poor bugger died while I was in there, just quietly passed. At the time 80 years on and he was still having nightmares.

• Like 2

May he rest easy now Jason his war's done, a warrior to the end.

Well I have some sad news on my DAD, he died on Monday of this week, before I had a chance to tell him about the film of him on the TV. At 91 he had a good long life and passed peacefully in his sleep. I shall miss his wicked sense of humour and his timely advice. Rest easy Dad.

Sorry to hear that Slice. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind words. We all only get one Dad, if yours is still with you DON'T forget to tell him how much he means to you.

• Like 2

Damn, that is fate and irony flipping you the bird in a big way there mate. Feel for you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Commiserations Slice . My old Grandad was in Burma (RAF) . Never spoke a word about it . 

Same here Kev, my dad was in Burma in the army during WW2 and I never even knew until he died in 1977 when my mum gave me his medals (which I still have)

As a lot of Far Eastern Veterans he just wouldn't speak about it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your loss Slice! I spend as much time with my pops as I can. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Peeps,

Been laying low for a bit because ....... yup the old man passed away end of August.   Bummer big time and we'll have to learn to live with that but it's gonna take a while. 

85 y/o and he's done it all and more (his words) and he has had a good innings.

Sooooo, what's this got  to do with Yammy's : bucket list thing.  Always wanted to get onto the FJ one day and drive to Holland and back.  Hearing that dad was going down hill was a good enough incentive with holiday traffic (still) clogging up the Channel Tunnel. (and her indoors relented)

This was not a pleasure cruise.  With drive to Holland I mean DRIVE to Holland. 4.5 hours from Truro to Folkestone only stopping for fuel and a stretch to soothe my hurting ass then an hour and a half up the road from Calais. Out on a Friday morning (arriving mid afternoon), stay the night, and back again on Saturday morning, equally ending up in Truro in the afternoon again.  913 miles round trip.

Only thing I can say is that Mr. Yamaha has made some quality machines :-)

No letters have dropped on the mat from HM constabulary so I think I'm in the clear !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah Dutch I'm so sorry mate. My condolences to you and your family, may he rest easy. 

• Thanks 1