Aprilia 50cc rebuild.

Cynic
This post is 2600 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well you cant hide the name so i improvised.

Yeah, solid.  Except the tank, its plastic and 2 of the bodywork fixings have seized in so that will need replacing. The suspension relay bearings have quite literally gone and some wiring 'teen adjustments'.

Chain and sprockets are fubar, engine will be rebuilt anyway. Full gasket kit is 13.99, crank bearings with seals is a tenner the other seals are pence. Hell a crank fully built is 70 quid and that's for a reasonable quality one. Not worth reborting as a replacement barrel with piston is only 40 quid.

Other than that it seems ok. Needs cosmetic attention but only elbow grease for the most part, I'm starting to see why folk get these, throw 500 quid at that motor and you can get a reliable 70mph, that goes up with big bores. Mind so does the cash. 20hp is supposed to be possible apparently.

I'm not allowed to work on it solo though, she wants to know how it works. Quite glad about that tbh, nothing worse than a biker that when asked a tech question about their obviously worked on bike. Responds with, "dunno my dad did it i just put the fuel in".

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
18 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

Blue frame,,i was expecting black/red,  hows that Flicker ,  to upload etc,, ?

Signed up and loaded pics in minutes. The tricky bit is keeping your infomation cryptic because they want you to share everything with everybody.

I used seperate email and a spurious name and it seems ok.

• Like 1

That looks ok mate, she will be made up when you get it sorted. On the XJ I chopped the outer bearing race with a short length of hacksaw blade, took ages but came out clean with a 90 degree cut and a modified screwdriver blade.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, Cynic said:

I'm not allowed to work on it solo though, she wants to know how it works. Quite glad about that tbh, nothing worse than a biker that when asked a tech question about their obviously worked on bike. Responds with, "dunno my dad did it i just put the fuel in".

Good decision

I started working on my boys 1st bike when he was 16....Now 23 and I'm still working on his bikes....Probs all my fault tho as I have not been blessed with any patience so cannot be fekked going over things again and again...as I say, my issue not his

4 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Good man Tiberius ! lol !  Nice little bike . I thought it was one o' the RS50's .

Would have been easier I think? But she didn't fancy it, also I think a trailee is easier to ride (Steep learning curve for the cbt) and manoeuvre and your more visible.

The relay bearings are out, 2 were so knackered it was only the outer races so I cut them with a hacksaw and went with brute force and a chisel to finish.

Middle one which was seized solid had more substance so, set up a couple of sockets in the vice. Got it nice and tight by hand and then (with the relay being ally and the bearings steel) I gave it some pain with my heat gun. Couple of minutes and clunk, pressure came off the vice. Tightened it back up and kept up the heat. Rinse and repeat for a couple of minutes and it was out clean as a whistle. Vice survived too.

Forks are so so, found some nasty at the bottom of the stanchions, probably never get there unless your jumping like one of those red bull nutters so may krust em and see how we go. The dirt line on the forks was several inches above the crusty and the fork seals are sound. Prob put these on the backburner as a todo item.

Plus point, the steering head has a nicely greased set of taper bearings which was a nice find. Bike is down to a bare frame now too.

• Like 5

Well done mate, did she get her hands dirty? and did you try really hard not to do it all? :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slice said:

Well done mate, did she get her hands dirty? and did you try really hard not to do it all? :lol:

Erm. Face. Knees, hands and lord knows what else. Even with gloves.

I got nowhere near as shitty. She did burn her hand on the heated bearing that came out. Lesson learned although she was amazed at the process. And were now well past lefty loosey, righty tighty. 

Now the cleaning starts. Have some bearings to order and have found a replacement tank so i can stop wondering how to fix hers. Even the right colour and graphics for 25quid.

5 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Trailie riding position is much better for beginners .

Just a steep learning curve for the cbt learning the clutch control.

• Like 4

Would you believe the rear suspension has greased bushes instead of bearings for the relay to chassis link. Still baffles me, some bits are impossible to find like the seals for the relay bearings. Difficult to see a way to keep out the crud other than very regular service. Its not a hard part to remove, quite easy with the bike on an MX stand.

Half bushes half bearings on my DT. Easy to service too. All but one have grease nipples on them!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Found the seals, not listed for the rx anymore but Aprilia are as lazy as Yamaha and the same seals are in the RS125 suspension linkage.

• Like 1

Hey , Result on the tank !!  I don't know why all suspension linkages don't have grease nipples ? Cost I suppose , although you wouldn't imagine a couple of grease nipples'd cost the earth .  Whenever I need seals my first stop is a local engineering place , they usually have what I need (as long as I've kept the old one's for reference ).

• 2 weeks later...

Foo me, just ordered up the seals and such for the rear suspension, 70quid, only a handfull of seals and a few bearings. Considering you can get cranks and such for less.

Anyho, frame and sw arm are degreased and painted rattlecan style (not made of money, stripped and p coated would be nice but cash needed elsewhere), just starting to put some bits back on. Bush came out of the sw arm with a little help from a home made puller. Once out and the gunk cleaned off and regreased its gone back in fine, even the 'o' ring seals in the ends were fine after a clean.

The front needs little bar some paint and a clean apart from the front brake, the rear end now the suspension is all squared away should be a formality excepting the brake.

The stand is being a bit illusive, its a funky mx style centre stand. Mine is bent from all the lazy twats sitting on the bike on the stand, you think i can find one. May go with a pattern side stand kit.

And of course there is the engine, that is what i want the time for.

Photo's will follow.

• Like 2

Mate, take your bent stand to your local blacksmith!!! they will heat it and bend it back to shape then quench it so it will not break. Even hollow stands can be fixed if you get the heat right. Just sayin. Should cost no more than a tenner.

PS did the stand on the AJS in 1960s just like this was perfect afterwards.

• Like 2

Great idea. There is one in the next village. Will give that a try, ta.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online