Requirements to declare a shed, a garage.

martynball
This post is 2645 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, so I need to try and get my insurance down and protect my bike from the weather. I currently live with my parents with 2 houses knocked into one. I have been given permission to dig out 1 set of steps, as the house is on a bank (impossible to get bike up there). 

So, if I dig out a set of steps far back enough to fit my bike in the space, I want to know if I was to build a small shed in the space, it will fit, could I class this as a garage? 

It would be on private land and have walls, roof and door. 

My dad is a builder btw so don't worry on the building and digging details, I won't knock the bank down... haha

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends what you make it out of. I keep my bikes in a wooden shed with a concrete base, and that gets regarded as a locked building with some insurers. I'd call it a garage given how substantial it is but they don't

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Definitive answer would probably come from the Local Planning Authority (Council). Trouble is, if you involve them, you might just find out that you need building regs etc.

My view is, if it holds a motor car or motorcycle, then its a garage. If it holds the lawnmower and garden tools, its a shed :)

• Like 1

When you are renewing your insurance, ask the ins co and let them decide. If you decide you have a garage and summit happens, then they decide its not a garage that will have an impact on any claim you make (it will not nullify it, but will reduce the payout)

• Like 1

I've noticed the last few times I've insured the company specifically asks what the garage is constructed of e.g. brick/concrete. Worth checking if wood is an option, but I suspect it won't be under 'garage'.

I've noticed the last few times I've insured the company specifically asks what the garage is constructed of e.g. brick/concrete. Worth checking if wood is an option, but I suspect it won't be under 'garage'.

From my experience wood = shed.

Some insurers class that as parked off the road, while some call it a locked building. Vast difference in price I've found

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online