Cygnus 125cc cutting out

Mr Riggs
This post is 2635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. Last year i decided to buy a 125cc to commute around on due to not having a proper licence. My friend convinced me to buy a scooter which i was not too sure on never owed one before and i enjoy the geared bikes. Anyway due to finance i picked up a good deal on a Yamaha Cygnus 125cc 2012 model with only 6000+ miles on the clock. The bike has been going fine until last year December when one morning the scooter just died on me and the ignition light flashed about 3 times. I pulled over switched off then on again and she started. That afternoon on the way home it happened again. The manual says when you turn the ignition on it will do an electrical test then the light will go off and it does. Seeing as i was going on holiday i only pulled out the plug to check it for any signs but all looked good. I bought a new plug while on holiday and replaced it but this morning going to work it died again. Im sure it is electrical as the light flashes and i know what it feels like when there is a fuel blockage. When it happens again like it did this morning i just quickly switch the ignition off and on and she keeps going. Just wondering if anyone has some knowledge on this as i dont want to leave it with someone who will take forever looking for this problem and in the end i will replace everypart trying to pin point the problem. It has to be a small wire or something. I have had electrical faults before on cars with coils and leads and it feels nothing like this. Im actually looking for a quick answer i can fix myself as i use the scooter everyday. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Agree that it does sound electrical, what does it say in the manual about the flashing ignition light?

In your owners manual it say's "Engine trouble warning light" https://www.manualslib.com/manual/597176/Yamaha-Cygnus-X-Xc125.html?page=19#manual see here for further info.

So looking at this it does seem to be an electrical/ignition fault you might need to check that all your wiring connectors are clean and dry before you do anything else, get yourself some electrical cleaning spray and have at it.

Hi

Thankfully I have sorted this out. Feel like an idiot right now. All it was, was a loose positive battery cable. The threaded bolt had come loose and was nearly out of the terminal. Did the think to check the battery as it only happened about 4 times over a weekly period..

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Easily done, well spotted. It's always the simple things that catch you out. Ride safe.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online