YBR125 2013 How to replace clutch return spring

dandanthepizzaman
This post is 1444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

I Was lubing the clutch cable today, I noticed the cable had slipped out of the bracket at the engine end. I was trying to reset the cable into the bracket and return spring back into position and the b@stard spring just snapped ( the bent bit at the bottom ) I couldn't figure out how to replace the spring.

I looked at the manual (ch 2-15 / 17 ) and it looks like the rod the bracket attaches to just slides out, but in the manual the engine has been removed from the frame. In place it looks like the battery bracket is going to stop the rod from coming out far enough to replace the spring. So 2 questions - 1 does the engine need to come out to replace the spring? 2 Is the rod supposed to just slide out or do I need to do anything else? 

I depend on the bike for work so need to get this fixed DIY ASAP!

Thanks in advance Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok first I have never worked on your type of bike but I have also never seen a bike that you have to take the engine out to replace the clutch rod and spring! Usually the engine is out in these manuals to make it easier to show how to do the job but as I said it's just for ease of viewing. If the battery bracket? is in the way then can you get that off? if not then an engine out isn't that big a deal on a small bike, remember also there is usually a small ball bearing at the clutch end of the rod for it to ride on when spun up so DON'T lose it across the floor, ask your local bike shop if they can tell you what, if anything, they know about doing this, surprising really how helpful some of them can be with advice on a particular job and all you want to know really is does the engine have to come out or can it be done in situ? Best of luck mate.

Cheers for the advice Slice. Like you I thought it was a bit daft having to remove the engine, so this morning I tackled the battery compartment, I was able to remove it and this gave me the access I needed to remove the rod. However, the rod didn't slide out as the manual implies, its stuck / held in place. Looking at the yamaha parts online catalogue there is a circlip present and underneath that is a seal.  I don't have a tool for removing this clip so I wasn't able to get the rod out. Is this circlip the only thing preventing me from pulling the rod out or are there more surprises waiting for me?

Also when I put the cable back into the bracket, and squeeze the clutch lever, I can't seem to fully disengage the gears even after removing all the free play from handle end and the adjuster. Is this something to do with the broken spring or something else? Pulling my hair out at this point!

Thanks again Dan

• 3 years later...

Hi mate, I know it's been a while but I'm having the exact same issue as you had, could you shed some light on how you sorted this? Just ordered the spring, wondering how gonna fit it in too... and I'm experiencing the same with the clutch cable, did it go away after fitting the spring? Cheers!