xv750 to xvs650

lesr63
This post is 1236 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

My wife has an XV750 Virago, she loves the power but hates the way it handles, she also has an XVS650 Custom, loves the way it handles but hate that it's gutless.

My question is is it possible to swap the motors over, has anybody ever done it?

I know I can get a little more from the 650 by changing the air filer and re jetting it (pipes are already done) but nowhere as much as the 750, which I believe is the fastest 750 in its class, it easily keeps up with my 950 Bolt.

All info and advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Les

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can't see why not, after all both are Yam's and V twins other than that the ECU and exhaust might need to be swapped as well or modified "to fit" mind you the difference might not be in the engine as such but may be to do with the gearing of the bike, a 650 should not be monstrously different to a 750 after all! Never ridden either so not in a position to say but if your missus is determined to have the extra grunt then your going to be in the garage fixing her bike or eating your XMAS dinner in the shed! You might also need some plate steel to make up some engine mount brackets for those little differences in style and shape, believe me those few mm will keep you up at night if you don't, been there done that.

Might also be an idea to say hello in the new members section just so folks know your not a one hit wonder, just sayin!

Just had a scout round the net looking for threads that match yours. It seems that lot's of folks want what your missus want's i.e. lower revs and longer gear shifts, but the consensus is that the gear ratios for the 650 will not match the 750 drive shaft, so even if you swap out your 650 lump and swap in the 750 the rear wheel drive assembly will not match so your going to have to use the 650 rear drive and that defeats the objective cos you have just moved it all for no benefit. Sorry about that but it might be best to flog both bikes and buy one that she does like.

Just so we're clear here, you swap the 750 into the 650 frame the diff will NOT mate to the 750 drive.

• 3 years later...

You could get a 'racing' CDI to improve acceleration.  Top speed will be limited by power/weight ratio.  I hear that K&N filters will help but you may need to rejet the carbs.

I find the XVS650 most comfortable at 50mpg.  I do ride at 70mph on motorways but that's not really what a cruiser is about, is it?