Another toy! AND ITS ADORABLE

wild foamy
This post is 2627 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well peeps, much like a domestic cat i have brought home a half-dead but adorably tiny piece to play with.

DSC_0877_zpseiuu7c4w.jpg

Yep, it's another chappy!... bought this one at the Kempton Park autojumble on saturday, looking very sorry for itself, the front end is in a carier bag with bent forks and generally looking sorry for itself.

th_MOV_0914_zpss98lqmbk.mp4

Tonight will mainly be spent reassembling and finding out what is missing, luckily i still have a selection of parts from my american chappy which i did manage to smuggle back (seat, wheel, complete exhaust e.t.c), started with a few kicks and ran quite nicely ,only thing it is missing is a headlight although im fairly sure i have a similar one kicking around in the garage which will do for now.

Also picked up a couple of XT350s for me and my dad to do some green lanes on, and an XT600 just incase i want to wrap myself around a tree

• Like 3

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

3 XTs... ;) one is a '86 600 which I'm not overly sure what I'm going to do with, and two' 87 350s for me and my old man to play around on. 

Airhead, there's more important things in life than working ;)

• Like 2

Yeah that's the one... twin carb and dual chamber exhaust, goes well enough but needs some better rubber, not sure wether to keep the 350 or the 600 yet...both have their own charm

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0998_zps35wuj5tk.jpg

So the electrics are all working which is a good start, new ignition switch and battery ready to go, 

Got myself a little chrome headlight for it, opted to buy another used set of forks rather than rebuild the existing legs which were missing parts. All being good when these new forks arrive I can start using it to get around the airfield in Jan! 

• Like 3

Gotta say it's a very cool little project, sure it's not a Norton Dominator or a KZ1000 but you get all the fun of a project without the ridiculous cost, love it! 

Personally I'd keep them both, the 600 is a brilliant bike from what I've heard, and I'd keep the 350 because it's a bit of an engineering oddity and I have a feeling they're gonna be a future classic

Looks like it has the Fs1e  speedo,    ,,them 600"s are good bikes stevie, was out  off road with mates on them,

20160925_133001.jpg

• Like 2

it does appear to share a fair few parts with the smaller yams of the era, im just excied to have a new toy to play around with and keep my bike no claims current!.

havent really touched the XTs since i last posted, we fixed the decompression lever on my 350 and had a bitof a ride along the farmland where our unit is, the 600 isnt in quite as good condition as the 350 so i think the 350s are going to be the first to get MOTd, wont be until the new year though.

Got a Suzuki SV650 taking up space in the garage aswell which i never really wanted, so that can go on eBay in the new year, it's looking more and more likely that im going back to Afghan to work as a contractor, so starting to downsize the fleet a little; get rid of the 4x4s, boats and bikes etc, so only a select few will be staying and going into a rented lockup (XZ550, the DTs, Chappy and my smallest 4x4)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well here it is so far!. Once again massive thanks to Sacha for sorting out the logistics. 

DSC_1111_zpsjhjdtkgv.jpg

Runs quite nice, throttle cable is sticking where it runs into the splitter for the oil pump though... Which resulted in an unplanned trip through a hedge row... And the front brake shoes fell to pieces when I put the hub in... Luckily they are the same as the DT50 ones! 

• Like 4

Looks like you're getting quite hedgeucated foams [emoji23]

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Been using it to get around on site this week, had a little bit of a clean and there's a few wiring issues to sort out on account of the new ignition barrel not being exactly the same layout as the old one... 

DSC_1115_zpscyux8xzb.jpg

DSC_1114_zpsbozp7me3.jpg

• Like 1

DSC_1139_zpsd0gp3fpx.jpg

Got some new chunkier rubber on there now, handles much better across the rough stuff!.

Needs a front mudguard though ...not much fun picking cow shit out your teeth... 

DSC_1122_zpsi4wrymk9.jpg

Also, it just about fits in the back of my Delica... So when it breaks down I can ride the Chappy to the nearest civilisation to get help... 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online