Carb/Injector balancing!

slice
This post is 2664 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok folks just a quick idea here. So been meaning to balance the injectors on the FJR since I put it away, finally got round to it and stuck the balance tubes on the little tit things and merrily started to balance it all. Will it f**knig balance out NO! go through the procedure again and reattach all the pipes and make sure the right pipe is on the right tit then check to see if the gauges are working ok still won't frigging work. Finally get round to checking the ends of the rubber pipes that connect to the bike (running out of things to try at this time) find that the rubber is stretched just enough to let air in thus messing with the balance calculations, so chopped 1/2 an inch off the ends,  seems that if you use these things on different bikes with different sized attachments and it's cold enough to freeze your nuts off, the rubber stretches just enough to make a real difference. So if your going to do this during the dead of winter check for a TIGHT fit before you launch into this balance palaver. Just thought you could save yourself an hour of fruitless fault finding and swearing!

Stay safe.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm not sure what set you have, I have the cheapo ones with 4 gauges mounted on a blue/green steel plate. The gauges are decent enough, but the hose supplied with them was utter rubbish. I replaced my hoses years ago, after it perished away to nothing.

• Like 1

Yep that's the ones Pilninggas utter frigging rubbish, thanks for the tip Drewpy will get some asap.

• Like 2

Yeah it's amazing when you think your saving a few quid to find out you might just have well spent the extra money and bought something that didn't fail, the gauges are good tho.

Related imageshould have bought these instead Related image

Could be worse, a close friend of mine wanted to adjust the injection on his BMW K75 (At least i think it was the K75, definitely a 3 cylinder weird one), he found out the hard way you have to RTFM before doing it, turns out you DO NOT touch the butterfly adjuster screws, just the fuel/air mix screw. This is because they're sealed with epoxy from the factory and should never, ever, ever under and circumstanced be mucked with. 

What did he do? He fucked with the butterfly adjuster and had to to replace the entire throttle body :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yeah "READ THE F**KING MANUAL" is what your supposed to do but how many actually do? :ph34r:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Variomatic said:

Could be worse, a close friend of mine wanted to adjust the injection on his BMW K75 (At least i think it was the K75, definitely a 3 cylinder weird one), he found out the hard way you have to RTFM before doing it, turns out you DO NOT touch the butterfly adjuster screws, just the fuel/air mix screw. This is because they're sealed with epoxy from the factory and should never, ever, ever under and circumstanced be mucked with. 

What did he do? He fucked with the butterfly adjuster and had to to replace the entire throttle body :rolleyes:

A lot of stuff now doesn't require you to adjust the butterfly linkage screws, instead there are airbleed screws that allow you to increase or reduce the volume of air allowed into the cylinder.

I'm surprised he had to replace the bodies, I'd have whipped 'em off bench balanced them and then bunged them back on and then done it correctly with the bleed screws.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, slice said:

Yeah it's amazing when you think your saving a few quid to find out you might just have well spent the extra money and bought something that didn't fail, the gauges are good tho.

Related imageshould have bought these instead Related image

Used the cheap arsed blue ones for years, grabbed some rubber hose out of a couple of scrap rangie's in a breakers (they had really long hoses the right size for the cruise control, literally 6feet long) Then the unit can hang on the wall while your balancing the carbs out of harms way. They did my old Suzuki, 2 of my mates bandits and they are STILL doing solid service balancing my neighbours hornet and the GSXR400 a guy at work uses as his daily driver.

Granted you get what you pay for and the carbtune is good but is it that much money better. Nah it doesn't do anything more.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 6:22 PM, pilninggas said:

A lot of stuff now doesn't require you to adjust the butterfly linkage screws, instead there are airbleed screws that allow you to increase or reduce the volume of air allowed into the cylinder.

I'm surprised he had to replace the bodies, I'd have whipped 'em off bench balanced them and then bunged them back on and then done it correctly with the bleed screws.

Apparently getting them right again is damn near impossible, no matter what he did with them he couldn't get them right again, a load of the guys on the BMW forum told him to replace them so he just did, come to think of it I don't actually know what made him decide it needed adjusting 

The chances are that he could have got it right with enough mucking but it was his day to day transport, I think he still has the old ones somewhere sitting in a cupboard 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online