Erratic warning lights and speedo/tacho pre-start sweep as I'm riding

Stu3840
This post is 2673 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, so this is a long shot, seeing as how rare BT1100's seem to be in our fair land, but, mine has developed a rather annoying fault and I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. As I'm riding, especially as I accelerate, the oil and fuel warning lights come on briefly followed by the pre-start needle sweep of the speedo and tacho. There's no effect on the engine or lights, everything seems to be fine, I've checked oil levels etc, spot on......! 

What's going on? My old faithful seems to be possessed by evil electrical demons, maybe an exorcism will sort it, but more likely a component replacement, if only I knew where to look.  

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Almost certainly an electrical short/fault, take it to a dealer and see if it's a know fault.

My two cents: If it is essentially resetting and performing same actions as when you turn the ignition on, I would guess that a connection to the speedo was loose or corroded. (Maybe check the cable guide is not snagging the wire?) Not sure how that could link to acceleration, unless it is the sudden jolt moving the wire or something. Perhaps as a test turn on the ignition, the go full lock either way a few times and see if this causes the meter to reset?

Also maybe a long shot but have you tested the battery (assuming you have no issues starting the bike, so guess it is working correctly!)

• Like 1

I was looking at the bulldog before I bought the xjr looks like a lovely bike!

What's the ignition barrel like? is the key a bit sloppy inside or hard to take off the steering lock? if so maybe when you accelerate the key moves ever so slightly and tricks the ecu that your in start up mode again thus triggering the sweep. 

• Like 1

Smart Noise/Malleus, just so makes a lot of sense.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online