Battery choices - MT09

Malleus
This post is 2661 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, really I have no idea about batteries. Mine is ~4 years old and after 2-3 days of non-use does not have enough power to start the engine. I have been looking at a few options;

Replace with stock battery - Yusa YTZ10S - but it is £100 or so! (CCA:190)

Replace with this AGM battery which as I understand will stay charged longer without use.  CCA same as stock (CCA:190) but it is only £50. It has 4 terminals, I have no idea why.

Replace with this lithium battery. The capacity is half stock (4ah) but CCA is 240 due to some wizardry I don't understand. Also £100.

So I know nothing really about batteries, if you have any opinions on each of these (or others) let me know. I am leaning toward the lithium one, mainly because it is blue and has charge indicator LED's :lol:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
32 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

Lithium will also save you some weight

I mean at 188KG weight is not really an issue, but if performance/price is same or better I guess I should go for it. Just wary that there may be other issues I do not know about. Also I noticed battery compartment is currently filled with spacers underneath and at the side, so potentially I could fit a much larger battery? I suppose what I am looking for is a battery which I can just forget about for the next couple of years and leave for up to 4 weeks without any hassle.

As per the Jacamo adverts, if it fits it fits! Lol. Just make sure the spacers aren't anti-vibration. Strange that your battery is dead, all mine have lasted a lot longer than 4 years

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I may do a few more tests before splashing out on a new one. From what I can tell if the battery reduces to 75%, the voltage drops enough for the engine to not start up. But I have not ruled out basic things like people bumping the bike whilst it is in the garage and setting of the alarm whilst I am out, also I may have been an idiot and left it in 'Parking' mode. Hard to tell as it does not actually have parking lights (AFAIK) but still drains the battery

I wouldn't get lithium, they need special chargers and the bike's system needs to be optimised for it.

I think the motobatt are great and have one in my FZ,

• Like 2

I would go for the motobatt and get your self an battery Optimiser

I have an alarm/immobiliser fitted and if I don't hook it up to my Oxford Oximiser the battery would be flat if I don't use the bike for 2-3 weeks.

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/battery_care_and_power_accessories/oxford_oximiser_600_euro/ 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drewpy said:

I wouldn't get lithium, they need special chargers and the bike's system needs to be optimised for it.

I think the motobatt are great and have one in my FZ,

1 hour ago, Campaman said:

I would go for the motobatt and get your self an battery Optimiser

I have an alarm/immobiliser fitted and if I don't hook it up to my Oxford Oximiser the battery would be flat if I don't use the bike for 2-3 weeks.

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/battery_care_and_power_accessories/oxford_oximiser_600_euro/ 

The lithium battery is being advertised as suitable for MT-09 (actually the only option on sportsbikeshop I think!) so would hope it would work well with the bike. I also have parasitic alarm system, which is why the low capacity of the lithium battery made me wary. I think I may go for the mottobatt, as I am not trying to save weight, it is cheaper and sounds more like it will last when I leave the bike in the garage for 4 weeks. (With the weather now is likely!)

I do have the Oxford Optimiser, but occasionally I leave my bike at work for periods, and don't really want to have to leave it attached to a charger.

1 hour ago, cotterpot said:

I have an oximiser always connected when bike not being used. It's an 07 plate bike and still on original battery.

I have started to leave mine connected when at home after last few times of having to quickly charge the battery before leaving the house. It does say in the instructions 'do not use in a garage' :blink: but I suppose that may be in-case of fires or if the clips pop off and causes sparks? Once I install the new battery I may add the permanent cables.

Yes I have rigged mine up to charge via a plug (fused) permenantly fitted to battery terminals, which sits in box under seat.

Bonus is you can use it to run a satnav or charge yer phone when riding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cotterpot said:

Yes I have rigged mine up to charge via a plug (fused) permenantly fitted to battery terminals, which sits in box under seat.

Bonus is you can use it to run a satnav or charge yer phone when riding.

Nice, I had wanted to add some electrical outputs to the bike. (Though with current battery performance did not seem wise). I have not done it mainly due to my aversion to 'mess' , not really sure where I could run the cables, I think I would have to run them under the fuel tank to come up neatly by the meter.

I use the permanent cable supplied with the Oximiser and have the plug coming out at the back of my seat and can tuck it neatly between the riders and pillion seats when not plugged in.

So after testing, the battery does loose charge after 48 hours.

Got the mottobat replacement worked great!

Now I have a new powersource I figure, why not install some extras. So I removed tank, ran wire from battery underneath/next to tank, out near air scoop and up to handlebars. Test everything, works fine, put everything back together. Great.

So before riding I thought I would do an extended test, start up bike with everything on. Sitting for 3-4 mins, shudders to a stop...

Now displays error code 12 > malfunction with the crankshaft position sensor.

Removed tank, checked connections, checked fuses, removed additional items I installed. Still nothing but fault code. On top of this my alarm went a bit mad, with ignition on it now rearms itself and goes off, after messing about it seems to have stopped working completely! 

I have flicked through service manual, not had time to test everything, If anyone has any thoughts or initial advice let me know!

Did you get a blanking plug for the alarm?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this; turns out the negative lead from the battery was oxidised (under the insulation) I assume changing the battery pushed it over the edge somehow. So guess it is a case of adding 2 and 2 and getting 6 really. (or my fault for assuming the error code was accurate!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online