Bike starts, then cuts out?

125fightingmachine
This post is 2694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

This is actually the first time ever my bike has refused to start! So I stick choke on, start her up, she'll tick over fine for about 3-4 seconds then suddenly cut out.. Last night I was going to do a valve clearance adjustment - took all the timing caps etc off then realized my feeler gauge is all rusted and I can't see the numbers so I stuck all the caps back on and left her. Do you think this could in some way be related to my problem?

All help grately appreciated. Happy riding, Louis :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Louis, probably unlikely it is related to the valve clearance as you say you didn't do anything so, if it was running before but not now it is more likely to be petrol or electrical. 

Your problem may be too much choke and flooding the engine.  When the engine starts can you turn off the choke halfway and see what happens?  Does the bike still splutter to a halt or does it shut down quicker?

It may be with the colder weather the bike's choke may not be shutting down fully so in that case the bike is getting enough fuel to start but not to keep running or....

The fuel pump may not be working properly or the float is stuck in the chamber of the carb(s).

What is the model number and age of the bike???

Good luck!

• Like 1

It's been cold of late, so start on full choke and leave it for a couple of minutes. If you hear the bike start to rev then gently close the choke off as bit

51 minutes ago, 125fightingmachine said:
14 minutes ago, 125fightingmachine said:

I've started her on full choke and she cuts out after about 3-4 seconds.. 

Have just been outside to start her up -started on full choke, dropped down to half and instantly died..

Are you cutting it down to half choke, if so just leave it for a few minutes or until the engine starts to race. I don't use my bike much in the cold weather, but when I do I will leave the choke on for about the first 1 - 1.5 miles

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online