SR 125 Custom rebuild

jonny5
This post is 2641 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

6 minutes ago, Back in the day said:

Looking good Jonny thourght you were getting the professionals in to do the tank

My brother in laws brother in law is gunna do it for me He told me to prime it to keep costs down and he will do too coat for next to nothing dont think he wanted to clean his gun twice lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
4 minutes ago, Back in the day said:

Well your cracking on at a good pace looking forward to seeing the finished results bud 

Will start to slow now bud I've run out of money lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Back in the day said:

I know that feeling your doing great on a shoestring budget think there is  a tv series in you mate Jonnys kitchen table bike build on a shoe string! Way better than that Henry cole bloke ! 

I wish bud would have her finished by now 

I didn't manage to get much done today apart from excavate the long lost kitchen table only issue was some petrol had melted the plastic tablecloth to the table so I had to strip it and revarnish it before the mrs come home from work 

But I did manage to start work remodelling the seat was gunna buy one so thought I might as well have a crack at reshaping the old seat 

20161202_121133_zpsad0dyd4b.jpg

• Like 1

Nah bud she didn't have a bloody clue lol this weekend will be fun gunna get the engine bench tested and start stripping back the loom as I wanna get rid of indicators relays ect 

Enjoy you weekend bro 

Ride safe 

Evening guys 

Hows it going didn't manage to the loom today got cracking on with the rear mudguard was really rusty and had a divet in it that need to be beaten out 

20161203_135341_zps4oujkn1r.jpg

20161203_151253_zpsocay2pkx.jpg

Also frame had its final coat of laquer today so she is ready to start having bits put back on

I did start to clean up the front forks but both seals are on the verge on blowing so gunna do that before the clean up and painting 

Ride safe 

• Like 2

Well done, what you rubbing down with,   flapper disc,   its removed that rust well ,

Evening guys 

I've run into a little road block after starting work on the rear swing arm I've found some bad corrosion on the underside 

20161205_170906_zpsczzdm1tb.jpg

I've was wondering if anyone would know if I could cut away the whole bottom panel or is it structurally integral and cheaper to replace then have repaired? 

Ride safe 

Looks to me like  a welded plate, so for what it's worth cut it off and take it to your local welder and get him to replace the plate with some nice shiny steel. Better still leave it on and get him to remove it and then he can see what needs to be replaced, yes by the way almost certainly structural.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, slice said:

Looks to me like  a welded plate, so for what it's worth cut it off and take it to your local welder and get him to replace the plate with some nice shiny steel. Better still leave it on and get him to remove it and then he can see what needs to be replaced, yes by the way almost certainly structural.

I can replace it for £30 do you think it would be cheaper then the repair ? 

Or I might get a 250 swing arm then I could fit a larger rear wheel on 

Cheers drewpy 

Can get one off a 250 for same price do you know if it would fit I've done some research and looks like most of there parts are pretty much interchangeable but I'm not 100% sure on that and dont wanna pay postage from the States on sumit That dont fit 

Cheers peps

Ride safe 

11 hours ago, jonny5 said:

Cheers drewpy 

Can get one off a 250 for same price do you know if it would fit I've done some research and looks like most of there parts are pretty much interchangeable but I'm not 100% sure on that and dont wanna pay postage from the States on sumit That dont fit 

Cheers peps

Ride safe 

not sure mate, with imports you are subject to customs charge and if not pre paid, post office will charge £8 for collecting the money

11 hours ago, drewpy said:

not sure mate, with imports you are subject to customs charge and if not pre paid, post office will charge £8 for collecting the money

Just checked online I would need to pay 20% vat and 3.7% custom charge so probably not a good idea as if probably need a wheel from across the pond too 

01634 242018 bike shop in Kent solid no rot with good bushes that don't need changing 25 quid 8 quid post grab it before someone in the us buys it lol! I saw lots of really rotten ones going for stupid money why anyone would buy a swing arm that needs welding is beyond me ! this one looks sound mate he might have a wheel as well you never know am off to work now bud cheers rich

• Like 1