Tube tyre on tubless rim?

Variomatic
This post is 2707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been thinking about nearning to change my own tyres (why not, right?). But I have one huge issue, I lack an air compressor (or at least one with enough balls to seat the bead), meaning that I can get a tyre onto a rim but I can't seat the bead on the rim. But, I can do a tube tyre because the tube does the job for me once I inflate it.

Now I need to know if I can put a tube tyre on a tubless rim, I can't really see any reason why I wouldn't be able to do it, but I could be missing something.

(Also I SOMEHOW managed to put my shreaded engine back together again and it runs! Unfortunately my bank account hates me and the parts department of my local Yam dealer loves me)

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

lts a good skill to have, i used to do it a fair bit back in the day...........................when it didnt matter if shit got hacked up. To be honest its a PITA job, Even with the correct levers its easy to pinch a tube or gouge a rim and end up upside down. My tame shop will do one for about a tenner, i wont touch them now.

l use tubeless tires with tubes on spoke wheels a lot, have been for years, not much of a option in a lot of cases, it doesnt bother me(,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but im not doing it on Superbikes, just sub 50hp kinda stuff).So tube tire on tubeless rim,  l would do it, but then again.........................

5 hours ago, drewpy said:

use a garage compressor, some are still free, some you pay for

Never in my life have I found a garage compressor with enough balls to put a tyre on the rim properly, I'll probably end up just finding a tyre shop that can put the tyre on the rim and go tubeless

13 hours ago, Variomatic said:

Never in my life have I found a garage compressor with enough balls to put a tyre on the rim properly, I'll probably end up just finding a tyre shop that can put the tyre on the rim and go tubeless

Must be some shit garages round your way. Prior to buying a compressor from Lidl, I would always use a garage compressor to pop a tyre...Never failed at any of the garages

• 2 weeks later...

It's okay to use a tube with a tubeless tyre/rim , you have to use a slightly lower tyre pressure though to allow for the tube . What's all this I hear about compressors ??  Myself and the Brother fitted a new set of tyres to his VFR800i last week and popped the beads into place with a bicycle pump ( as always ) , Just takes a bit longer .   I always fit my own tyres as a matter of pride . I've been doing it for 30yrs . How long has the kid down the local tyre place been doing it ??  I use a garden spade to break the bead on the tyre I'm removing , having taken steps to safeguard the discs , finish etc . It's good exercise too , lol .

7 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

It's okay to use a tube with a tubeless tyre/rim , you have to use a slightly lower tyre pressure though to allow for the tube . What's all this I hear about compressors ??  Myself and the Brother fitted a new set of tyres to his VFR800i last week and popped the beads into place with a bicycle pump ( as always ) , Just takes a bit longer .   I always fit my own tyres as a matter of pride . I've been doing it for 30yrs . How long has the kid down the local tyre place been doing it ??  I use a garden spade to break the bead on the tyre I'm removing , having taken steps to safeguard the discs , finish etc . It's good exercise too , lol .

The reason I can't get the bead to seat is because regardless of how much I try, there is still a gap between the rubber and the rim that won't close itself up using an air compressor. I shit you not, last time a tyre shot put a tyre on the rim they had to use a damn air cannon to get it to seat correctly, However that might be because the tyre was a utterly dreadful make, perhaps this next one will be easier to install 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online