1987 Yamaha FZR1000 serial #000001 resurrection

anyoldiron
This post is 2693 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

l picked up this FZR from a general auction (mainly farm equipment  in Western Canada) on Thursday, lt has under 3000km on the clock

unnamed%2042_zpsj5o5k5ss.jpg

lt is complete, apart from mirrors and fan, i just took the rest off for transportation. lts in pretty good shape dirty mostly with some light corrosion.

l spent yesterday going through it, i found missing fan, oil overfilled by 2.5L (fortunately it was spotless) and some minor bodging at the engine cut-off wiring. l managed to get its running, it has one weak coil and needs the carbs syncing

l thought long and hard about what to do with this bike (friggin 10 day auction) and have gone from complete nut and bolt resto, to fuck all, and all stations in=between, and this is what i decided. l am going to sympathetically restore it, im going to take it apart , not totally, (not the engine) clean service and reassemble with new consumables, no paint, i will do repairs to prevent further damage (plasti welding a side cover crack for instance)

unnamed%2032_zpsbsugfclc.jpg

This is mainly rumour so take it as you will. Most Yamahas start off new models with serial #  .............0101, the units #ed 1-100 are know as ''pre production'' and where given to Collages ,major dealers, race teams etc to be used as training aids, practice bikes etc. The where supposed to be returned to Yamaha and or destroyed when done with. So thats the general story ive heard in bits and bobs over the years.

This is what i can tell you for sure, this bike has the vin to go with the engine #, it has some ID stickers and unit #s on it from a now amalgamated collage. Judging by bolt and screw heads lt appears to have only been used for certain disciplines, timing and clutch work. When i start the resto im sure i will find others, so part of the story seems to hold true. lm going to get the registration sorted today,then get the parts i need together.

So, being that its 881 miles to get this bike..................each way, i picked this up on the way 1974,TX500 with 1688 miles, i have all the rest of the parts, the engine is stuck, perhaps due to sitting since 1975 and the tank is fucked, the second owner used the apple vinegar trick to get some surface rust of the inside, worked very well apparently, i believe him, he didnt rise it afterwards and a year later it has holes and i mean  holes. Anyway, its soaking and im looking for a nice used tank, when i find one i will get going on it in a new thread, until then reassemble, polish as i think it will look grand in the lounge

unnamed%2043_zps1ulre7fy.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nice bikes and seems a good buy.

the TX can be a finicky beats so watch for cracked heads and worn balance shafts (mostly eraditacted in the second version)

• Like 1

Wow!! As blackhat said you find some terrific bikes!! :hail:

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone

Spent a bit more time on the FZR, ive ordered a bunch of rubber odds and sods, and a battery. lts running way better now,however the carbs do need a bit more work. 

lm getting some really nice panels together, i dont want to mess with the original ones at all, i will just set them aside. When i have a full set i will get my tame painter to blend the age with clear and a lil Ochra if necessary  

lm going to do a major service as well, might as well check the valve clearances while im at it, so will be tilting engine forward, not taking it out

lts going to be done in fits and starts as ive got my house to finish

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online