Brake piston question.

125fightingmachine
This post is 2706 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope only time it should be flush is when you first put it in after you have put new pads in. After that it sits proud, try CAREFULLY to push the piston out a short distance, use an air line if you have one, put something inside the caliper so the piston doesn't come right out, old brake pads are ideal for this, and check the state of the piston to see if it's rusty, if not then that's probably not your problem. Have you checked the front wheel bearings?

• Like 1

Cheers for that slice :) have changed the brake piston, seals, pads and fluid. When I took the old pads out they were getting worn unevenly - could this be over tightening the front axle (pulling the forks in closer together maybe?) It's a ybr 125.. Would dodgy wheel bearings come on and off (stiffening the wheel up every day or two?

Uneven pad wear is usually down to the sliding pins sticking in the caliper body. I'd clean them up and give them a light coat of silicone grease.

• Like 2

As above does sound like pad wear, good idea to free up the pins, give them a sand down with wet and dry then grease them, see if that makes any difference.

• Like 1

Right, so pretty happy today as I sorted the brake problem - I'd bought pads that were ever so slightly bigger than the stock pads. The piston pushed it forward but it didn't spring back (got wedged in). Shaped into the stock pad shape we were good to go. Also when I bled the brakes I didn't give the lever a few final pulls to push the piston all the way out, resulting in a lot of lever play. :) 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online