Replacing a throttle cable

Spike101uk
This post is 2689 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so my throttle cable snapped on my xv125 virago ,  I've got a new one and gonna fit it myself ,  is it just a case of putting it on where the other one is or is there some secret method I have to know about , or any other tips.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Take a picture of where the old one goes. Or just make a mental note. Take old one off and put the new one through they route the old one was.

Hardest part is getting the fecking nipple back in the carb lifter 

Ok so I replaced throttle cable, put it in exactly the same place the old one was, all seemed to be going well until I tried starting her and nothing ,  I an hear the motor turning and can smell petrol but seems to not fire up. any ideas?

Dose the throttle work and spring back as it should? 

Did you replace or remove / meck about with choke cable? 

Did it take some effort to get that fecking nipple back in the hole thus you lifting the butterfly up n down? If so you might have flooded it. 

17 hours ago, Noise said:

Dose the throttle work and spring back as it should? 

Did you replace or remove / meck about with choke cable? 

Did it take some effort to get that fecking nipple back in the hole thus you lifting the butterfly up n down? If so you might have flooded it. 

Yea took a bit of time and yeah had to move that throttle wheel thing back and forth a few times so flooded engine sounds about right, how do I fix that?

Could try taking spark plugs out and letting the pots vent for a hour or two. To be honest I've never actually flooded a motor and couldn't tell you a "good way" of doing it. 

But thinking logically about it, venting the pots would be a good and cheap start.

• Like 1

Take the plugs out, turn the engine over for a few seconds then wipe your face with a cloth! :D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slice said:

Take the plugs out, turn the engine over for a few seconds then wipe your face with a cloth! :D

This is actual advice, do I have to disconnect  the ankle first to stop more fuel getting in, ad if i leave rags over the holes will it soak up the majority , 

Yeah turn off the fuel tap or disconnect fuel lines, rag on top of the cylinders and turn away

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Sorry forgot for a minute there that your not a mechanic, my bad! As finners said clamp or turn off the fuel line then spin it over for a few moments till the excess fuel is out then pop the plugs back in and that should be all you need.

Ok so I removed plugs and replaced and grounded whilst put a couple of rags over holes and cranked it ,  absolutely  nothing happened ,  no fuel seemed to be on rags and I also noticed front plug wasn't sparking , the plugs are new and I also cut a but of lead off to make a new connection  to cap and plug and still no spark and no engine, how can a throttle cable snap cause all this . help 

Perhaps a wire became dislodged on the cable route? 

First swap the plugs just to check if one of them is duff. If the plugs check out OK, work backwards over the dead circuit looking for a fault - cap, lead, coil, low tension feed etc. If you swap components one by one from the good side, you'll soon find the fault.

As Simon says, it's possible that the throttle cable has snagged a low tension feed to the coil and just loosened it off enough.

And the fact when I crank it no fuel comes out, but it just be flooded, I've also noticed fuel seems to be seeping from the hose end that goes from fuel  pump to the carb, it's always wet when there hose goes on the metal bar thing

Just changing a cable on it's own should not eliminate a spark unless as everyone above has stated you have dislodged a wire somewhere, so another thorough check needs to be done on all connections

However on the miniscule chance that you have been grouched, and the coil has packed in at the same time as the cable change, then try the following. Unscrew the plug cap from the HT Lead and kick the bike over with the ignition on. Hold the HT Lead about 1/4" from the cooling fins and see if any sparks jump the gap. If so it is either the cap or the plug. If not, the you'll need to check if the coil is the type with the HT Lead that screws in. If so then unscrew then the HT from the coil and hold the lead about 1/4" from the coil, kick the bike and see if the spark jumps the gap....If so new HT Lead, if not, then if you have a manual and a multi-meter then you need to follow the testing instructions in the manual