Hi Restoring 87 SRX 250

octaneguy
This post is 2732 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi my name is Richard and I recently acquired a 1987 Yamaha SRX 250 that needs some love.  While I'm not new to restoring old vehicles, this is my first project bike.  My last project was a supercharged 1988 Toyota MR2 which was my childhood dream car.  But back to my bike, I owned an SRX250 in college in 1989 but suffered a severe accident that would keep me off bikes until last year when I bought a KTM RC390.  I've always been on the lookout for an SRX250 purely for sentimental reasons and when I came upon one recently that was in fair shape, I jumped at the chance.  My plan is to restore it as best as possible with all available parts that I've sourced from eBay and Partszilla.com and anywhere else I can locate NOS parts.  I'm not against ordering from anywhere in the world for the right parts.  I've seen some NOS parts in Japan and Australia and tires in the UK.  Currently it needs the fuel tank to be sealed of pinholes and refinished and it's missing the entire petcock assembly. However the bike runs well, I fed it gasoline and it will run as long as it has gas.  It has an oil leak as well.

srx250_rick1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Richard, welcome to the YOC.

:wavey: welcome aboard! Looks like it'll be a fun bike. 

:welcome: yam used the same type of pet cocks in the same year so look at HVC cycle, bike bandit or yamaha top dog for bits

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online