Dead bandit = new bike

Noise
This post is 2697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys and gals, hope all is well? Not been on in some time as been having a right old nightmare! Keeping a very long story short I managed to kill the bandit! All that effort down the pan after the bottom end going bang in the most spectacular way on the way home from work. So she has now gone to a new brave owner after selling it for spares n repairs.

But not all is doom and gloom, today me and the wife just made a trip up to Swindon to purchase a rather nice 1998 XJR1200 for a not so bad price And will be delivered next Thursday.

took it out on a test ride and to be fair I really didn't want to go back to the shop, just wanted to keep going and going! So easy to throw the front end up and get the shaky grin on your face.

will have to get pics when she's delivered

• Like 5

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pictures? I'd like a go on one of them, more my style than my FJ

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Not sure what was up with the bandit, three weeks before its went bang I'd just done a full service so had nice new oil and filter. 

The bottom end was the old bit I didn't inspect or overhaul. 

Will Def get some pics up as soon as she's been delivered. Plus you can never really stay away from the yams for too long 

• Like 1

Odd. Its the gearbox that goes normally. No thrust bearings so the shafts load up and the std bearings go early. 

Good oil is not a good idea its a must have. That said 60k is normal.

She's here and after taking it to work I have to say I should have bought one sooner!! What a bike, stick it in top gear, 60mph and only pulling 2.5k revs, sit there and relax....... Open her up tho and holy dogs dangles does she pick up and bugger off down the road.

Some blemishes on rocker cover

DSC_0553_zpsgk40gipz.jpg

Just under 50k on the clock

DSC_0552_zpsjriknzgt.jpg

Nice race can.

DSC_0551_zpsg17hkbpb.jpg

DSC_0550_zpsux6cjtrq.jpg

DSC_0549_zps5dyqlpzs.jpg

• Like 4

Nice bike. How does it feel compared to the gsf? done an oil and filter change on my 96 b1 1200  14 K now all I can hear are noises!

Its the time to buy 

1 hour ago, Simon46 said:

Nice bike. How does it feel compared to the gsf? done an oil and filter change on my 96 b1 1200  14 K now all I can hear are noises!

Its the time to buy 

This thing kicks the teeth out of the gsf, I can only comment on the 600 tho as never ridden the 1200 so wouldn't know what they are like. But here is how think they compare. 

600 Bandit: good bike, goes like stink but all the fun is at the top end and not much at the bottom thus you spend most of the time screaming the tits off it. Great handling and flows into corners brilliantly. Light and nimble which is good for manual handling and they are a nice low commuter. 

XJR1200: Fantastic, oodles of low down grunt, long drawn out gears that seam to never end, you can simply chuck it in top gear and cruse down the road on tick over at 60, but then open its throat to go into full hooligan mode. Cornering is a doddle and it sticks to the black top like shit on a blanket. Tad on the heavy side when at stand still or general manual handling tho. Very top heavy with a full tank too.

• Like 1

The original 12 was an animal. Imagine a 150bhp lc.

Sounds like the xjr has a gentle touch to make it better in the real world. 

I could never bimble on a B12. Hoon and intimidate. Oh yes. Only the early ones though and the watercooled thing didnt deserve the name.

When you say top heavy  how does it affect the front. My tdr turns much better with a full tank.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cynic said:

The original 12 was an animal. Imagine a 150bhp lc.

Sounds like the xjr has a gentle touch to make it better in the real world. 

I could never bimble on a B12. Hoon and intimidate. Oh yes. Only the early ones though and the watercooled thing didnt deserve the name.

When you say top heavy  how does it affect the front. My tdr turns much better with a full tank.

What I mean with it being top heavy, it's when your pushing it back into the garage you feel it more than the 600 bandit. It is better with a full tank in the bends tho, but to be fair it's not a massive difference. 

Sounds like you've been having fun and to me thats what it's all about.

• Like 1

O yes, today wasn't as fun in the rain, wet weather gear (builders jacket and pants) worked great but hands got proper wet n cold so I've fitted a set of bar muffs to keep em dry n warm for the winter. 

Next will be tassels n studs.............haha

• Like 1

Thinking of getting some muff myself!

Bar muffs I mean ;)

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tell ya what tho they are the best £22 I've spent. today I thought I'd wear my new winter gloves which soon become painful to have on. so being a bit risky I took them off and even at a tad over the national........... (open to imagination)  I had zero wind chill on my hands and it was as if I was riding with my hands in my pockets. will definitely recommend them. but not riding with no gloves.

Lovely bike mate. I had a 1200 for a few years and still regret selling (needs must at the time). Having went from an auld parallel twin Triumph to an xjr required an immediate change of mindset. I could have lost my licence (+ job) at least 3 times on the way up the road from Telford, by giving it a handfull of throttle, which I needed to do on the Bonnie. Took me a while to get used to, but once I kept my speeds to a licence saving limit I thoroughly enjoyed it. The xjr forum is pretty good and is worth a visit.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online