After Market Mirrors

Grouch
This post is 2712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've never used mirrors on my bikes before because I think they look stupid on my style of bike. I got some of those that stick into the end of your bars but they're pretty crap. I want some that screw into the mirror sockets but not with massive long arms. I don't know the word slimline? Anyway I can't find any. Has anybody got a link?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Something to look out for Grouch, I don't know if its still the case with the newer models but most Yams have a left hand thread on one side. You'll need to check if your bike has or hasn't before you consider aftermarket's also the thread size normally 8mm or 10mm.

Bought Left and Right Yamaha mirrors this year, last year they were unobtanium, and my RH mirror was driving me nuts (vibration and rattles), suddenly this summer, the genuine Yamaha mirrors became available through dealers at about £45 ea, so I bought a RH mirror.  Transformation - no vibes no rattles and clear vision.  So I bought the LH one to match  -  same thing - now both perfect, and (having experienced the 'Pattern Quality' LH mirror for 6 months) there's no contest, OEM beats cheap Chinese replica hands down.

While I was at it, I took the RH mirror which rattled apart, and found out why it rattled!   Genuine Yamaha, and the same age as the bike probably 25 Years old,  behind the crazed discoloured mirror, I found 2 'pig iron' weights, rough bars of metal plus a lot of yellow dust.

I suspect that originally (and for all I know in the replacements which work so well), the weights acted as mass dampers, embedded in an expanded foam, which then disintegrated over time leaving the weights free to bang about inside the mirror, adding to, not reducing the vibration!

And yes - they were handed threads.

Check these out :-  item number 291571748712 on eBay. 

Loads of other designs if you hunt around eBay. Don't worry about which model Yamaha they are for the important thing is the left hand thread size. 

Ride safe 

Depends on how high and wide the mirrors are relative to you body position. As an example, the mirrors on my virago are good (low ride/high wi dish bars) .The fazer mirrors are poor (higher ride/mirrors lower and less wide. Have a search for Riderscan mirror

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online