1980-G DT175MX 2-Stroke Oil Leak (US Model)

This post is 1181 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 2 stroke oil leak coming from what looks like the reed block gasket (you can see a drop of oil on the bottom of the cylinder and one on the clutch arm). Does anybody know what's going on here? Do I simply need to replace the reed gasket or could there be a problem with the oil pump?

Thanks,

dt oil leak..JPG

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the pump was faulty the oil wouldn't get there to leak.

Looks like a bad gasket, don't forget that will be oil/petrol mixture and if its getting out your in theory at least running lean on oil and fuel and may be allowing air in after the carb which is BAAAAD so fixing sooner rather than later.

Why does the oil pump get the blame for everything on 2strokes? Someone will blame a puncture on one soon.

• Like 1

To be honest looking at the photo you may have fuel leaking from the float bowl too intermittently as well.

See the staining at the bottom of the float bowl and a matching stain on top of the crank case under the carb. Could be blow back from the gasket leak tho? Something to watch.

Ahh 'Atlanta Fettler'....the inlet rubber reed block interface does not have a gasket, there is an in-built moulded in 'o' ring that takes care of that, but they go hard and flattened with age of course, might be coming from there rather than the side with the gasket?

Haha nice to hear from you Airhead! Now you mention it I remember you told me about the O-ring a couple of years back... Mine looks as flat as a pancake. My gasket looks fine. Just went ahead and ordered a new rubber reed block manifold. Expensive little devil! As always thanks for the help and advice.

The 'Atlanta Fettler'.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Greetings Yamaha fans - I can't believe I started this post a little over 5 years ago!! Where does time go.....

I need your help once again....

I replaced the reed block rubber and float bowl gasket shortly after posting my last post.  My bike has continued to leak what looks like a mixture of gear oil combined with 2 stroke oil ever since.  I drained the engine oil the other day and found a mixture of 1000cc of gear oil  /Yamahalube 2S in my drain pan. I was wondering why my 2 stroke oil tank always drained very quickly.... Any ideas what could be going on? 

• Haha 1

There is a seal on the back of the 2s pump, not sure if its available as a part or it would be easier to replace the pump. If you do change the pump make sure you use your drive gears as they vary slightly. 

Cheers Cynic - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Are you talking about part number 15 on the attached link?

https://cdn.partzilla.com/MTE/d/4/MjE2ODAyNw-409936b3.png

If so, is it just a case of pulling the clutch cover to get at the shaft/gear pump drive?

I have never worked on the autolube before. If I remove the pump will I have to follow a specific install setup or do I just reinstall then bleed the system?

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

Airhead - Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out. I have disconnected the oil pump.  Is the seal  attached to the main engine case or the outer clutch cover? Is it easy to remove?  About to work on it later this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to change the inner clutch cover oil seal for the oil pump.  Things didn't go exactly as planned. . . I managed to split the small hose that attaches to the oil pump and metal fitting inside the clutch cover.  I am having a hard time trying to attach the new hose back onto the fitting inside the clutch cover.  Is it possible to remove the hose fitting from the clutch cover or will I have to somehow attach the small hose with the fitting in place? 

Hi there, I recall it wasn't easy putting on the hose inside the oil pump housing, however, i kept a photo record so here it is and the method i used to install it.

https://flic.kr/p/2kjYRbX

I was hoping the photo would show instead of a link, but never mind, clearly i did something wrong!

I followed Drewpy's post on the help page using embedded bb code, then part of it, all to no avail. so I gave up and ended up just putting the link in above.

50754259807_5e9946d11a_w.jpg

Don't forget to stick it in hot water for 5mins before you try! :D

2 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

Don't forget to stick it in hot water for 5mins before you try! :D

What? The BB code? 😆

The photos appeared above, not sure how that happened as I didn't do anything! so i assume a mod has stepped in and helped out. Many thanks for that whoever it was.

47 minutes ago, NE0 said:

The photos appeared above, not sure how that happened as I didn't do anything! so i assume a mod has stepped in and helped out. Many thanks for that whoever it was.

it was me, I did leave a note but it didn't process. 

8 hours ago, drewpy said:

it was me, I did leave a note but it didn't process. 

You need a Mod to sort that out for you...

Neo and Snakebite68 - thanks for taking the time and trouble to pass on your help and advice.

I am not having a problem attaching the hoses to the pump, I am having a problem attaching the small hose back inside the clutch cover.  The position of the big hose and fitting make it very difficult to access the small spigot on the inside of the case.  I am thinking I will have to go ahead and pull and replace the big hose before attempting to replace the small hose. 

I have another question:-  is it possible to remove the metal spigot fittings from the outside of the clutch cover case?