Make shift bike shelter

Grouch
This post is 2731 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I keep my bike in the garden covered etc but it's still not good enough. Every time it rains I have to run out and cover it. I have been looking at sheds but I plan on moving house soon so it would be a waste. Also the only suitable place for a shed would block my outside tap and kitchen window. So now I'm thinking of alternatives. It doesn't have to be out fancy just a shelter from the rain and snow. I'm thinking of knocking a timber frame together as a starting point but then I thought about a gazebo type thing? Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
1 hour ago, Tommy xs said:

Perfect Grouch . It'll keep the rain off .  Anyone know if you can still get that corrugated perspex stuff ? That tent seems a little expensive . You could buy a ground anchor and some cover for that .

My screens gone pink , my drunk Bro' knocked it over , the feckin gobshite . lol.

• Like 1

They do look a bit expensive but could be just what Grouch needs, less space than a shed and if he moves house he can take it with him, may be able to get one cheaper on a bid instead of a buy it now.

I wanted more of a shelter style so I can wipe the bike down and do maintenance etc under it when it's raining. It just seems to constantly rain all the time here.

How about like a mini car port type thing? Corrugated plastic roof, maybe 2 or 3 walls? Then use a dust cover once the bikes cooled as opposed to a waterproof one

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

That was what I was thinking. Just knock a frame together and then use plastic sheeting or perspex. It doesn't have to be a work of art just functional. 

Should be easy enough to take down when you move, you could also install a ground anchor inside too?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I bought some of that sheeting for an 8 x 6 shed roof, cost over £100.

Its not cheep said the sparrow.

A simple frame and some twinwall polycarbonate would probably be the cheapest way of knocking up a small car/bike port.

You can get it online, or from DIY places such as Wickes

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-10mm-Twinwall-Polycarbonate-Sheet-900-x-3000mm/p/105909

Twinwall is strong and doesn't crack like the corrugated sheets

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the cost of materials and then considering the time and effort I'll put into building something I might as well just buy something like the shelter Tommy suggested.