picking up a TDM850 Mk2 saturday

drewpy
This post is 2125 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

guys, just to let you know, I'm not organising this, Steve is and he's not on this forum (well he is but doesn't post)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you get dates nailed down - I might come too - I've done the pyrenees and the picos, but more than happy to do them again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

He can buy my FJ if he wants!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Looking like the XS for me  unless you can do buy it now pay twelve months later fin ha ha

• Like 1

It's alright Tommy we will wait for you in the pub!!! :biglaugha:

On 24/09/2016 at 5:54 PM, drewpy said:

Just got back from Hull, bloody windy on the motorway and it was down to 40 mph on the higher levels

Did you pass a 1996 red bandit 1200n onthe m62 in the slow lane on your way back? My vw caddy 1.6 broke injector 1 and I was riding back from Dewsbury to cheadle sat afternoon after picking up a good one from breakers. Frighteningly high wind so much so I wanted to pull over and stop! 

1 hour ago, Simon46 said:

Did you pass a 1996 red bandit 1200n onthe m62 in the slow lane on your way back? My vw caddy 1.6 broke injector 1 and I was riding back from Dewsbury to cheadle sat afternoon after picking up a good one from breakers. Frighteningly high wind so much so I wanted to pull over and stop! 

no, can't recall.

what a maiden voyage to take on an unfammiliar bike. I was moving off the bike whilst it stayed straight.

• 1 month later...

doing a bit more on the TDM.

the valves are shim under bucket, so its cams out if they need doing, and they have not been touched as the original shims are in there.

bought a main stand and crash bars from Rafal in Poland direct

look good

WP_20161102_001_zps2zb3hr03.jpg

got some airbox rubbers coming and fitting an oil pressure switch as unbelievably, there's none fitted.

just testing the fan switch just to know that it'll work when its needed, otherwise I'll have to take all the tank etc off again which is a pain.

going to fit an R6 electric pump and possibly some driving lamps on the crash bars as the headlamp spread is rubbish (cheaper than HID)

• Like 1

I've always heard good things about the lights on these, are they both on at the same time?

7 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

I've always heard good things about the lights on these, are they both on at the same time?

the original headlamps? they are rubbish due to the prism design I think.

There is a projector lamp for dipped which also runs a reflector lamp on high beam ( both on) my FZ illuminates better

I was told wrong then! Haha. Couple of 900's on eBay at the minute I'm keeping my eye on, putting my FJ up for sale at the weekend I think

49 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

I was told wrong then! Haha. Couple of 900's on eBay at the minute I'm keeping my eye on, putting my FJ up for sale at the weekend I think

they made 5 versions

3vd mk1

4tx mk2

4tx1 mk2a

900 and 900a

more info here

www.jbx9.16mb.com

Jaysus, I might be tempted ta tag along, just done the south of France last month,,,,, was in the cage though :angry:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

was looking at TDM's when I didn't know what bike I wanted after moving up from a DT125, ended up getting an XT600 though as it was like a bigger DT. lovely looking bike though the TDM

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2016 at 11:31 PM, drewpy said:

off to Spain next year with Tommy et al. Slice is coming too

Steve who is organising the trip has just said it will cost a max of £590 for the ferry with shared cabin (overnighter) need to factor in digs, fuel etc

let us know if you are still interested as monies need to be in by the end of this month

• Like 1

Tommy gotta ask SWMBO about it, I'll get back to you all ASAP.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just been and finished the valves on the bike. I messed up the timing (may still have) and had to start from scratch.

did a test frun and she fired right up. I snapped 2 exhaust studs off as I thought they needed changing :huh:

I tried to use my usual "weld a nut" but the buggers were fusion welded in there so had to drill out.

bit scary and broke 4 bits as the studs were heat treated due to heat cycling and hardening.

One stud i had to buy an 8mm helicoil kit. I was spot on in the end and the exhaust system is back on.

just need to flush the cooling system out and refill with antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor and get it ready for the Norton factory visit on the 24th with Tommy xs.

still a few jobs to do, but i'll wait till its warmer and ride it a bit more in the meantime.

• Like 2

I've done bucket and shim valve jobs quite a few times, it's not actually ever as bad as people think. It's just about being methodical.

A pain about the exhaust studs, but again it's almost to be expected with anything over 15 years old. I tend to use ceramic grease on all that stuff now, on reassembly, it works even better than copper slip imo.