Got a broken jaw, can I ride!?

martynball
This post is 2749 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, so I have had a broken jaw for 2 weeks now, first week I was riding my bike as A&E told me is was just bruised, my got putting the helmet on hurt, which of course because jaw is broken! 

Im going to call doctors tomorrow ask them, but surly my helmet shouldn't affect my jaw after 2 weeks, it might push it very slightly but shouldn't put too much pressure on it now right? I need to get out! sick of sitting in my room eating yogurts and soup! 

Get the metal plates and stuff out of my mouth in 3 weeks. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's your jaw so up to you if you want to try. I know someone who rode with a broken leg (fracture below the knee)...

If it hurts putting the helmet on then probably not a good idea, but as Dr Pepper would say, what's the worst that could happen?

Actually i dont think you can ride at all officially.

Few years back now i broke my left foot. Both of my cars  were autos but i was told that i was not legal to drive.

Untill its healed there could be un known events that leave you in too much pain to be in control of your vehicle.

Or got fobid you drop the bike or say a bird strike (had a few pigeons first thing). Fracturing a fracture is nasty.

For me its a no.

• Like 1

No you shouldn't ride with a broken jaw, the reason, every time you pull your helmet strap up it presses on the jaw this in turn put's pressure on the fracture if you continue to do this the fracture will either not heal or worse still it will become infected, believe me you DO NOT  want that to happen. If you allow 4 to 6 weeks for the fracture to heal (and it will take that long) then you should be ok to ride but even then you must not tighten the strap fully as it will only heal fully in about 3 months, the area around the fracture will increase in size due to any irritation due to movement, it's how the body protects itself. Don't believe me? I worked for the Ambulance service for 30+ years and I've seen every sort of injury there is. Talk to your GP or surgeon before you do anything.

• Like 2

Incidentally I wouldn't ride with a broken limb, jaw etc. I'm a firm believer in being ride fit.

My stupid brother snapped a ligament in his ankle 6 months ago and was told it'd take 6 weeks to heal. But he was still riding his bike during this time saying he'd be fine. His leg still hasn't healed properly...

• Like 2

I whacked my right ankle off the left hand rear bumper of a Fiesta one morning at around 1990 or so . It's still not right and I'm not holding out much hope that it ever will be lol ,( heard a crisp ripping noise when I rolled it while in the Himalaya , but it's because it was weak from being never healed properly}. You can buy new bits for a bike but......

Thanks for the advice guys, I rang my local A&E where I was treated today as the person I spoke to said that if there is no pain or not too much pressure on my jaw it should be okay. 

I went out today for a bit and when I put my helmet on there wasn't much pressure at all on the broken part of my jaw and the strap is under my neck more than anything, will see how it goes, if I see any swelling or feeling anything odd I will defiantly stop going on it. 

Honestly though, feel no pain and don't feel any pressure on the part of my jaw which is broken. 

• Like 1

As already said by others...

I have a neck and a foot injury that have never healed properly because I knew better.

When I knew better as a gobby 17 year old and a not so gobby 25 year old I felt no pain.

Well the piper has called for his payment and if I could go back in time and slap some sense into both of those idiot me's I would not walk with a slight limp and have to watch what and how I lift.

• Like 3

Ah Cynic mate we all want to go back and slap some sense into the little shithouse we were.

• Like 1