Advice needed for exhausts?

mechmanuk
This post is 2755 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, just joined this forum as im new to customs and need your advice please. I have a 2007 dragstar 1100 which i purchased back in the spring. First time custom rider and im well impressed with my new bike, however the bike has a vance and hines exhaust system onit which i believe causes this popping on decaccelerating and being a considerate type i find it a little too noisy when popping back, specially round walkers with dogs etc??

Anyways i understand this is normal with these type of pipes, the bikes sounds and rides beautifully but what ide like to know is, can i replace the exhaust with a standard muffler/ exhaust? and if so would i have to get the carbs reset with new jets and the like? Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, there was another guy on here a while ago who asked the same or similar question, the upshot seemed to be that all custom pipes make the drag pop and fart even with the carbs being tuned! It might be that your bike has just had the new pipes fitted and the carbs have not been touched therefore if you bung a standard set back on it should be fine, only way to tell is to try it and see.

If your going to be a regular visitor to the site it helps if you bung up an intro in the new members section as folks are wary of one hit wonders who get their answer then bugger off without so much as a "Thank you". Not saying that's you just it's nice if folks join in and make a contribution and add to the sites worth. Just sayin.

• Like 1

First off, welcome to the forum. I'm assuming your v&h's are these? 

Now, you mention you find the popping to be an annoyance, but what about the exhaust note itself? Is that fine or too loud or what?

Sourcing original mufflers would be a pain: new, they would be eye-wateringly expensive, 2nd hand on ebay would be much cheaper, but they're bound to be a bit dinged up/rusty. Plus, look at the video. Hear how they sound? Quieter, yes, but also like a sewing machine rather than a cruiser. 

If there is excessive popping it's probably because whoever put them on did not re-jet the carbs. Rejetting to the correct fuel/air ratio will greatly reduce - though not eliminate - popping.

My advice? Get the bike down to a dyno and let them rejet it properly and scientifically! Won't cost that much (mine was about £90). Cruisers are supposed to have "presence", and believe me, you'll thank your loud pipes each time they snap some dozy driver out of their semi-comatose state long enough for them to notice you're there! 

• Like 2

Popping is down to unburnt fuel firing in the pipes, my Betty (650 draggy) used to pop like a bastard and spit flames like a mother.............. this was down to bigger main jets and more air flow (but mainly due to the big jets)

Try a set of baffles, this should give you some more back pressure and keep the un used fuels in the pot to burn off and reduce the over run back fire. You will hate the stock pipes, as tout said this big beefy bike turns into a grannies mobility scooter with them on and your soon slap the V&H's back on within a week.

Or the other cheap fix is to ride past the dog walkers and not roll off the throttle.........no back fire then :thumb:

• Like 1

I like my bike quiet.

Can't see the point in having noisy antisocial pipes which only you and the person behind can hear.  All this talk about waking someone up in front is just that - talk. You can hear very little outside noise in a modern car, that's how they are designed.   At least I can ride for 300 miles - with earplugs -  and get off and still hear without ringing in ears.

I went with my mate for a weeks tour round the uk this year - 2200 miles.  My mate has had baffles put in his Harley now.

Just my opinion.

14 hours ago, cotterpot said:

Can't see the point in having noisy antisocial pipes which only you and the person behind can hear.  All this talk about waking someone up in front is just that - talk. You can hear very little outside noise in a modern car, that's how they are designed.  

Point one: you know, down here in the South, it sometimes gets hot enough for people to roll down their windows! :P

Point two: loud does not necessarily mean obnoxious. The pipes the OP is talking about actually have baffles in them, they are not entirely straight through (and neither are my v&h cruzers).  The tone of a v-twin engine, especially a big one, is low down and throaty. On the other hand, a sportsbike redlining at 18k revs, or a KTM single thumper with straight through pipes - now that's obnoxious...

Point three: even with closed windows, drivers in all directions seem to be able to hear me - most of the time! (there's no cure for terminal doziness...)

Point one: you know, down here in the South, it sometimes gets hot enough for people to roll down their windows! :P

What no aircon?  Poor sods.

Anyway

Prolonged vibration and noise increase fatigue/stress/irritability for road users which increases the chance of an accident. :P