1984 XJ900 wont start

Noise
This post is 2762 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folk,

After a little of the old "try this" info if you could?

I am still doing up my mates XJ900 which i have had since December and have got to the stage in the game of starting her up (with no luck) basically the problem is that i press the starter button and all that happens is you get a click from the relay and the motor twitches and then you get the buzzing as tho the battery is dead.........But hear is the list of what i have done and fitted.

• Old engine was fucked (top crank case split) so replaced with a second hand one
  • New engine stripped, cleaned and new gaskets fitted (turns over by hand)
  • Starter motor overhauld with new electrics and planatary gears cleaned and re-greesed
  • New battery fitted
  • New starter relay fitted
  • New sparks, Oil and new filters
  • New rear shocks (Wont effect starting.....................i dont think so any way haha)
  • Electrics all cleaned

I havent checked what the battery is pumping out when i depress the start button yet as i havn't got a multi meter but if i can get my hands on one i'll post up the resluts. Im just at a loss as its showing the signs of a dead battery but it was brand new out the box, liquids put in a and left to sit over night to come to life and bugger all is happening (stroky beard moment)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Noise, looks like you've had a fair go at all the right things here. I have a 1992 XJ900F so my experience might not apply to your model.

Check that the starter gear has not engaged and is stuck there.

If you have a couple of helpers, can you try a bump-start? That will confirm the engine's ability to run (especially if it turns by hand - not seized).

My model has a daft wee switch at the side-stand to prevent the engine starting if the side stand is down, but if that's duff, I don't think you would get a click at the relay - and this might not be fitted to your model.

Although very unusual, you might have just been given a dud battery (I had one in a brand new car!) What about jump leads from another battery?

Definitely a beard-scratcher.

• Like 1

Loose connection Noise, starter relay click is what you can hear and it's either not enough charge or a buggered relay, check your connections especially the ones under the tank.

Just had a thought of something you could try, bridge across the terminal on the starter motor to the engine (dead short) and that should wind the motor over, just so you can see if the motor is working properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IKE said:

Hi Noise, looks like you've had a fair go at all the right things here. I have a 1992 XJ900F so my experience might not apply to your model.

Check that the starter gear has not engaged and is stuck there.

If you have a couple of helpers, can you try a bump-start? That will confirm the engine's ability to run (especially if it turns by hand - not seized).

My model has a daft wee switch at the side-stand to prevent the engine starting if the side stand is down, but if that's duff, I don't think you would get a click at the relay - and this might not be fitted to your model.

Although very unusual, you might have just been given a dud battery (I had one in a brand new car!) What about jump leads from another battery?

Definitely a beard-scratcher.

I haven't tried the bump start yet as the brakes need sorting and im not that brave to ride off without that capability (even tho i'd happily ride the thing into a wall haha)

Before he bought the new battery we did try jump leads from me car and still only got the click and a slight step from the rotor on the left of the motor

2 hours ago, slice said:

Loose connection Noise, starter relay click is what you can hear and it's either not enough charge or a buggered relay, check your connections especially the ones under the tank.

Just had a thought of something you could try, bridge across the terminal on the starter motor to the engine (dead short) and that should wind the motor over, just so you can see if the motor is working properly.

I'll recheck the connectors on the relay etc tonight this could be a very good point.

When i rebuilt the starter motor i did buzz it with some cables from his battery and she span up lovely so we can rule out that i fucked up that build haha, Also before he bought the new starter relay i did short out the old one with the old screw drive trick and again billy bollocks happend.

will have a butchers tonight and report back

So you didnt load test the starter. Free spinning and running under load are two very  different things.

That motor will pull serious amps. Free spinning it will draw little of any. If you have some bad coils or the com is worn it will do a small step untill it hits a dead spot. Wont blow a fuse either.

Power drill on the gearbox sprocket nut with a spare man on the clutch lever for 'justin' will cover bump starting. 

• Like 1

Will give this a go for Def tonight, couldn't do nothing last night as the wife had me painting the decking till gone 2100hrs. 

Yer i did, all brand new electrical end of the starter motor, made sure as to spin the rotor by hand to bed the brushes in for better contact before shoving a current through it.

Went to do the old electric drill on the front sprocket idea last night only to rememebr that its a shafty.......(DOH) so no joy on that. I then sat down with the wiring diagram and double checked every thing and all seams fine......?

Going to borrow a multimeter from me buddy today and go find out what she's putting out and check me earths, its gotta be something simple as power is getting to the starter motor, just not enough to spin it up

• Like 1

The only thing that I can suggest albeit it a shot in the dark is as Slice suggested by bridgeing the starter motor. Try bridgeing the starter motor solenoid.

That's what I quite often had to do on my Divvy when it wouldn't start.

Na still not getting nothing, didn't do much to it this weekend as i was having a few birthday drinks so was not in any state to hold a screw driver haha. One thing i did do tho was plugged the clocks back in and when i turned the ignition on the nuetral light came on but the oil warning light didn't and i can't rememebr if this is on the same line as the starting sequence or not

Might try and do a video of what its doing / not doing