build v buy: cost effectiveness

mr bignal
This post is 2750 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a load of 'spares' left over from making one good motorbike out of two

i started thinking about building a second motorbike out of the bits i didn't use,

the frame is too far gone but the engine is ok, the swing arm needs rebuild, shocker has had it and the oil cooler has had it too etc etc -there's a lot that's shot 

bear in mind I have used the best parts for the bike that i restored

263y3h1.jpg

i made what i think is a realistic list of what i need and the real cost of getting it running to a good standard.

then i set that cost against what i could buy one for with a decent margin for contingencies so that i was comparing on a level field

the conclusion was that there wasn't a lot in it, both came out at just over £1K so the thing then became do i want the hassle of a build when i don't have to

i quite like to tinker but if i add all that time on eBay, collecting items and rebuilding it isn't really cost effective especially as mrs bignal wants stuff doing :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ah the "her indoors" syndrome mate, yep no matter how much you want to "tinker" she will have other ideas about the useful use of your time! To be honest if you don't have a bike then building one from scrap parts is fun and you get to know your bike but just for the sake of it, buy a runner and spend your cash on petrol instead.

• Like 3

Yep. I know a couple. One had patio doors fitted so he could get his bikes in and out easier.

He lives upstairs. The downstairs is basicly a garage. The house isnt maintained either. 

My missus wont go there as you can look up from the kitchen into the bathroom. As there is not a lot of ceiling and not a whole lot of bathroom floor.(a rewire. Finished the wire but not the reinstatement). If your aim is off you can piss in the sink.

DOWNSTAIRS!

I will stick with the wife.

• Like 4

that's very similar to one of the people i know. 

when i built up the first bike, which incidentally runs brilliantly, i found it expensive, just little things like gaskets, difficult bolts/getting rethreading done, it cost more that i bargained for, in fact, had i known i wouldn't have done it but now it's done i'm glad i did it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2016 at 1:11 PM, mr bignal said:

that's very similar to one of the people i know. 

when i built up the first bike, which incidentally runs brilliantly, i found it expensive, just little things like gaskets, difficult bolts/getting rethreading done, it cost more that i bargained for, in fact, had i known i wouldn't have done it but now it's done i'm glad i did it.

Yep , it's all the little bits you have to buy new that bump up the cost .

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online