M25

mr bignal
This post is 2778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah been there done that !! What a waste of time it is, on my way to a funeral (previous post) spent about 2 hours weaving my way past doughnuts who thought it was a good idea to sit on their arse waiting for the tiniest gap so they could race forward 3 feet!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, slice said:

Yeah been there done that !! What a waste of time it is, on my way to a funeral (previous post) spent about 2 hours weaving my way past doughnuts who thought it was a good idea to sit on their arse waiting for the tiniest gap so they could race forward 3 feet!

Yea - you have to race forward to fill those gaps as quick as possible (And of course who cares if an emergency vehicle has to get past and you need some room to manoeuvre or if anyone in the queue breaks down.)

• Like 2

If ever there is  a time to get introspective about  life using the m25 is right up there.....where are we all going?..what are we all doing?..what did we do before?

I have to use it whilst delivering stuff..I can almost feel myself getting older sitting there!

• Like 1

I hope never to venture into that part of the country again , I mind [ 1993]   on way to france, we landed on M25 ,12pm, and it was gridlocked, <_< , I mean  "  do these people not sleep down there, . 

• Like 1

It's not that bad:

(1) the ring roads of all major cities seem to be way beyond capacity - the M25 is no different in that respect.

(2) imagine having to drive from somewhere like Heathrow to Harlow without it - north circular hell and hours of crawling through hateful NL surburbia.

(3) It does flow well at times, when I used it at 0700 in the morning, yes it's sodding busy but considering the volume of traffic it flows pretty briskly and drivers are on their toes and let bikes filter at speed.

Yes, it's an utter bitch when they close sections, but it's almost the ultimate strategic road. I like it.

Its horrible. Only a couple of services too. For hgv on taco rules the stops and starts of the m25 can completely stuff your day.

Heathrow and Dartford esp. I remember coming up from Brighton, heading back on a Friday and the traffic was choked from Heathrow (M4) TO Dartford ffs.

Had to have friday night away and just had the hours to get home or i would have been out for the weekend.

The m25 is the outer circle of hell.

• Like 1

Traffic? What traffic? This isn't the M4, you know...

I've done 140mph on the M25 at about 6pm, before... No idea what you Northern jessies are whining about!! :D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Traffic? What traffic? This isn't the M4, you know...

I've done 140mph on the M25 at about 6pm, before... No idea what you Northern jessies are whining about!! :D

Down the hard shoulder?

i'm sure it is generally applicable to crowded m/ways, a herd of elephants, sorry trucks, slowly trying to get past each other plus nobody wants to go in the sliow lane for fear of getting stuck.

This gives rise to strange phenomenon, no lane discipline, much of the m25 is now 4 lanes - you can get situations with the two outer lanes congested, two inner lanes pretty much free. sometimes, exasperated i say 'sod it' and resort to limited undertakes, carefully of course.

It is actually feels safer to do that sometimes, not at excessive speed but gently.I'm really not a motorway fan but the thought of going through london on a hot day left me cold haha..

Incidentally, anybody know, are Luton vans allowed in the fast lane?

Wot they should do is only allow HGV's to use it from 8pm until 4 am.........................then it'll make way for MORE cars to clog it up!

20 hours ago, mrtone said:

Wot they should do is only allow HGV's to use it from 8pm until 4 am.........................then it'll make way for MORE cars to clog it up!

Good idea. That way it'll take even longer for your stuff to be delivered... kiss goodbye to the idea of food in the shops being fresh!

23 hours ago, Malleus said:

Down the hard shoulder?

What, where all the nails and stones and bike-killing crap gathers? No, down Lane 3, from J8 round towards 5. I could have gone faster, but I didn't trust the BMW/Audi types in front to stay in their lanes!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mr bignal said:

BMW/Audi types? now that is interesting. I have independently identified drivers of those two makes to be the biggest hazard on the road, other that crazed farmers and dotty old bags.

Generally if you drive a BMW or Audi you don't actually have to follow any of the rules of the road. Read the road traffic act - right there in the small print - at the bottom.

'Does not apply to BMW or Audi drivers'!

• Like 3