Xs250

This post is 2778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all 

I've just bought a 1981 xs 250 that's been restored. And I plan to take it around Spain next year with a few mates. Sounds fun eh. But I just can't belI've how slow this bike is?? 65 mph max!!. Have they always been this slow or is something wrong. She starts off the button and runs sweet. Just NO power at all. Please help!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome:, yep they are a heavy bike due to more meat in the engine.

75 i think is the top end if its igntion setup and with clean carbs

• Like 1

:wavey: welcome aboard! Sounds like a great trip you've got planned.  

• Like 1

I'm kinda thinking I'm gonna be the back marker of the group now. The others have bought TDRS and TZRS. How about I do the valves and Polish the ports. May change the coils to.  

We did a similar sort of trip a few years ago on C90s and it was great. No problems at all. We've only just got back from driving a tennis ball covered limo around Europe. 10 countries in 10 days. It's also for sale if you're interested. Have a look on ebay. Or our Facebook page "Balls out limo tour" 

Ha "  ANDY "  yer mad,,:D,    think I saw your trips somewhere,[ online]  ,  mind  yourbody weight  is gonna knock a bit off the 250"s performance, :welcome:

• Like 1

I would drop 1 tooth off the front sprocket,  .  it will pull better, . I would leave engine, you need reliability ,  .. maybe electronic , ignition "

• Like 1

:welcome:

• Like 1

try xs400.com ( I'm on there too)

there's loads of info for ya. I'd recommend getting a 400 engine (needs cards too) it'll fit right in and can easily keep up.

I did 70 -80 all the way back from NW200 and she never missed a beat
If your interested the full SP here

Er.. Tortoise and hare time.

The 2 bonus points for you will be comfort and range.

The TDR250 even stock unless ridden at speeds you xs is capable of will struggle to better 35 to 40mpg. Same for the tzr. Both have stingy tanks too.

The tdr seat is cruel and gets hot too. Not to mention that bike is a pain to work on.

You will have double the tank range no 2stroke to find/carry and much better reliability.

Probably the better overall choice if not as sexy.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the replys. been tinkering with the bike today (well just kicking the tyres) i`ve ordered a 14 tooth front sprocket, new rubbers for the carbs. and i`m gonna try and seat the valves and do the ports. my question is how much better will it run with electric ignition?? and which are the best to buy... 1953.jpg

• Like 2

It will run exactly as it does now with electronic ignition.

The plugs will last longer, the bike will be easier to start esp in colder weather and you may gain some high rpm benefits, maybe some more torque and most likely some mpg improvements too, which is just from the engine doing what its supposed too but better, but real world hp you can feel. Nope. Not really.

Don't get me wrong it will be a nicer bike to use, and definitely more reliable if you get a reputable kit and fit it well but it wont actually go faster in any real sense, people usually get a 400 engine for that bit.

got a Pamco ignition from the states about £120. I believe piranha have revived their ignitions. I also had an ignitor box from gigavolt on the German site. It uses the points but no power goes through them so they last forever

• Like 1

Hi Andy, I toured around Europe in 1978 with a friend on an XS 250 (I rode a KH 250). The 2 week ride, I think, notched up about 3500 miles and the XS and KH both kept up comfortable 75-80 mph speeds on dual carriageways/motorways with no problems - although the XS was often in 5th rather than 6th gear. My KH was always in 5th ........ as it only had 5 gears !

Rather than go for a smaller front sprocket as an early step, why not leave it as it is until you've got the engine sorted - 65mph is not normal for one of those bikes - and then think about it when everything else is right.

if you need the higher revs, just keep it in 5th, until you're going downhill - and remember, small engined bikes need "momentum" (just watch Moto3 races), so to keep up with the rest, go as fast as you can down every hill to get a good run up every up-slope  :-)

• Like 2