Athena 170cc kit for DTRE 125 set up tips

DT RE Chris
This post is 2527 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Athena are a quality brand. If your unsure ask them.

I would invest in  a temp gauge[ TT0 ]   about £25.   its the best way to jet and run  new bored /tuned 2 strokes, ,  I "v been jetting my DT400

, and have dropped from 190 main to 150.  , and dot let anyone tell you the air screw  and pilot affects ONLY , idle and 1/8 THROTTLE.

, I turned air screw in 1/4 turn, and running speed temp dropped 20 degree F, .    get the sensor to suit your spark plug size , [12mm / 14mm]

heres a link, [ usa]   but you get them in UK,.[ search]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trail-Tech-TTO-Temperature-Meter-Digital-Gauge-14mm-Spark-Plug-Sensor-72-ET3-NEW-/381631066379?hash=item58dafbf10b:m:mMuD7UU-217AkY5q9559__A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:49 PM, DT RE Chris said:

I've emailed Athena several times with no response, seems they just want your money.

Athena promptly got back to me after several months, the help I received was amazing, they told me everything I needed to do, without their help I don't know where I would be today, their knowledge was invaluable to me. 

Athena's actual response was "speak to a mechanic" 

I can't thank them enough

• Like 1

Can't help if its an ITALIAN quality brand. Can I.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can't help but ask, why would it need a stronger crankshaft? It's designed to upgrade the 125 to a 170 and that's hardly a big jump in anything. If you were trying to take a 400 to a 600 then you might need that bit of extra strength but other than that I doubt you will need to worry about it. As you can see from the above comments Athena don't seem to care about customer support so this is one of those occasions where you have to take it on faith that the design team :lol: have at least made an attempt to make sure it fits and runs ok.

A member on here fitted one to his TDR125. He did 33k miles on it before the gearbox gave up so I'd say the crank will be fine.

I think a better route to do down would be fit a DT200 or WR200 engine. They bolt straight into a DT frame

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Personally.

If your spending that kind of brass on a bbk then i would pull the motor. Split it and replace all the seals and bearings, proper ones too

You have no idea of the condition of your current parts so for reliability and performance change them.

The crank and bearings are plenty strong if healthy. Its your gearbox that will limit you. If you change out the bearings, yes even the little needle roller ones that do the hard work. Checking the gearbox cogs and the dogs.

Not a big job on a good motor but you want to double the horsepower. The engine will do it but will be far better with the extra work.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online