Moments when you feel smug being a motorcyclist

Malleus
This post is 2760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On the way home yesterday at the start of my journey; an Audi in front driving poorly (not sticking to lanes/no signals etc)  - I decide to pull over to buy some food, drink and such. Hanging about for 25 minutes or so. Jump back on the bike - head off - 5 minutes down the road guess who I am behind again! :rolleyes: made me laugh - taken the guy 30 minutes to move 2 miles.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i wonder whether the driver had been drinking?

on that recent trip across wales i spent ages crawling to the front of a massive tail backs. when i caught up i naturally looked at who was causing all the aggravation.Answer: a woman in a small car doing about 40 chatting away and an old boy in a huge 4 wheel drive thing. In both cases they seemed oblivious.

It must be extremely frustrating being a motorist in a queue like that. mile after mile, at least with a bike there's some hope of getting past on those roads, However it does take the edge off a day out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mr bignal said:

i wonder whether the driver had been drinking?

Don't think so - just not giving a crap. When I first started driving I would see people swerving around etc and think - 'are they injured/sick - maybe something happened to them/perhaps they are drunk? etc - 9/10 times they are on the phone or eating/drinking.

'I wonder why this woman has just swerved out over the middle line' - drive past - 'Oh she is eating a sandwich!' :mellow:

Frustrating yes - but there is a solution :lol: - especially for those 4X4 driving around with one guy in - buy a bike. I heard somewhere that if 10% of people driving cars in London swapped for motorcycles congestion would drop to almost 0. (Don't quote me though cant remember who said this or whether they are trustworthy!)

• Like 1

without meaning to hijack this thread too much and loosely related to my earlier comment i think this is quite a good safety type vid, skip the beginning, about the frustration of welsh roads where it is difficult to overtake.I did not notice poor driving so much as slow driving by cars giving rise to tail backs.

i'm quite a fan of the a44 , oxford to aberystwyth but it has a terrible reputation for run offs and head ons :( of course, there's always pulling out as well.

Last time I felt smug was on the interstate here... some guy with a big truck (and little ___) towing a horse trailer couldn't stand that he'd been passed by us. So he sped up to about 90MPH to pass us... fine by me, I let him pass and slowed to hang back a bit. So no less than five miles later, I smell burnt rubber and start to see the remnants of a blow out. He'd blown one of his trailer tires and was pulled off the side of the road. :biglaugha: I laughed at him as we went by, which probably wasn't very nice, but I did it anyway... and then my instant karma for laughing kicked in and I ran straight into a nasty swarm of bugs that completely covered my visor! :shakeno:

• Like 5

I used to be a dispatch rider in and around london. One rush hour day in heavy traffic, I was on the outside of the traffic waiting to overtake the stationary cars. I could see behind me this impatient bugger on his honda 50 cc. Eventually he overtook me giving me stare. T'was half a mile up the road where I passed him lying on the floor after hitting on-coming traffic. He was ok but I couldn't help thinking what a twat he was.

• Like 3

I just love how much more fun I have in day to day riding around. If me and my friends go somewhere and I ride, I can be leaning my pile of rust as far as I dare with the needle touching the red, and the guys who went in the car, moving at the same speed, are bored. 

Sometimes it pays to have a slow pile of junk bike. 

• Like 4

Just got back from Portsmouth, about 300 miles round trip, and it's insane the amount of traffic, but it's wonderful to drift past all the Ferraris and such stuck in the queues, am I smug? you bet I am :lol:

• Like 3

Last Tuesday I was traveling from Chippenham to Weymouth about 18:00 and came across a very serious RTC at Warminster. The traffic was building up and getting longer and longer as I approached. Thank goodness I was on my bike, I and about four other bikers slowly crept to the front and then got on our way. If I had been in a car I think I would have done a U turn and gone back home.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:51 PM, anyoldiron said:

l always feel smug being a motorcyclist :)

:lol:

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, slice said:

Just got back from Portsmouth, about 300 miles round trip, and it's insane the amount of traffic, but it's wonderful to drift past all the Ferraris and such stuck in the queues, am I smug? you bet I am :lol:

haha - yea - good investment +-£300k to sit in traffic? Hope the seats are comfy

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...