Putting the feelers out.

Cynic
This post is 2637 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just starting the ball rolling, the daughter will be 16 middle of next year and seeing as she has the bug we have agreed to a bike of her own.

I'm not entertaining one of those crappy scooter rev and go things, esp as I fully intend for her to move up to the DT. I have the 125 top end ready to fit (when I fix the crank).

Anyhow, I know we all have stuff hidden and friends who know friends etc so..........

If anybody has some ideas on DT 50's or RD's out there for sensible needs work prices I would be interested. Within sensible distance from Northampton unless its really good buy. I'm asking way ahead of her 16th to allow me time to do any work, find parts etc that it would need. Dt preferred tbh, I know them inside out and she is tall too, maybe an abandoned project 3/5ths completed would be good.

Thanks

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There really aint much out there from what i have seen, sadly i haven't got anyone in the know with one for sale (unless foamy has one lurking about??)

Seen this one on cars n classics but its in Hampshire

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C773538

What do you think about a Suzi Van Van? we had them as our sudent bikes for our CBT's and they are such a brilliant little bike. Nice and easy and forgiving to ride and pretty much indestructable, fat rear wheel gave loads of stability in shitty weather and one of our other instructors took one home in the snow and it was fantastic (25mile trip) pick them up for less than £2k on auto traider

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/bikes/suzuki/rv125_vanvan/postcode/ba215rq/radius/1501/searchcontext/default/page/1/sort/default

Hopefully your find her one and she has a fantastic birthday with many years of happy riding (and with a bit of luck on a DT)

Lucky gal! Here's hoping you find a great starter bike for her. Hopefully she learns from you too so she can care for it. :) 

26 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Lucky gal! Here's hoping you find a great starter bike for her. Hopefully she learns from you too so she can care for it. :) 

Hope to, I think 4-500 quid should get something about right. It will get dropped, it will suffer some neglect, primarily from lack of rider skill crashing gears and such and it will suffer shitty weather. But then that's what 50's are built for.

Average is the word, average money for average, condition with average mileage. Then she wont be scared to scratch it, or park it somewhere. But old enough that it will have loosened up some so will have a bit more zip with some oldskool tweaks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndrewElvisFan said:

I've got an SR125 without forks!

air assisted front end eh?

• Like 2

Only DT50 I have left will be going in my front room :p, and a mk1 125LC which is somewhere in my garage. 

Get on the Facebook groups, yes there's a lot of shit and timewasters on there but occasionally theres stuff on there worth having. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Currently up on the list is the Aprlli@, the SX primarily. She is pushing 6 foot in flip flops and will look a lot less daft on something supermoto/trails.

Missed a DT 50 recently that would have been about right but it sold privately and the seller hadn't cancelled the Bay page. Even saw an RD 50, was mint and way too much cash. Can get a more power (buyer beware) fully faired RS 50 for a lot less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172461717142?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the kind of thing that comes up maybe monthly, 6weeks or so. This type not this bike specifically but they spike at the end and go for stupid money so far and the newer stuff (circa 2000- 2005) is 7-800. Getting annoying, folk just appear at the last second and swipe it. Almost certainly breaking for parts.

Would prob bid on this one but its 160miles away so too (burned(not badly) and learned my lesson on a long distance ebay in the past) far but its the kind of thing I'm after.

gallery_42031_140_1601675.jpggallery_42031_140_55182.jpg

I wouldn't dismiss a Reiju. Spanish built bike using a minarelli engine (same as Yams and Aprillia). They go reasonably cheap. I bought my boys one for his 16th. 2yrs old and I got it for £450....It was sold as a non runner but as soon as I lay my mitts on it I knew the fault. The young guys who owned it had taken the carb top off and when they put it on the slide was the wrong way round so the throttle was stuck. Anyway took it home turned the slide round and it fired up first kick.

Mostly plastic parts ie tank, panels etc but the frame seemed to have a minimum  of paint and would not last so I stripped it down and got the frame plastic coated for about £50. He ran about on it for about 18 months before moving onto his 125. He sold it for £650 and could have probably asked for more as the phone rang off the hook.

He is also 6'1" and didn't look too out of place on it. I would post a photo but photobucket is fekked and won't allow me (keeps saying I need to download flash)

edit// If you go on my profile and into gallery (jimmys album) there are a number of pics with him on it/aside it which will give you an idea of perspectives

• Like 3

Cheers jimmy, that helps a lot.

Didn't really know if I would be wasting time with the Chinese stuff tbh.

Will have a look at these, didn't realise they were Spanish, just assumed it was another tin foil Chinese lash up.

• Like 1

As I say, the only fault I found was the lack of paint quality on the frame, but once sorted, it was a great wee bike

• Like 1

Yea, can't get it at all now, those pics were ripped from the Gallery. I'll need to find some other photo hosting site

What about one of them things Grouch had? The XT125-something (X or possibly R... I didn't have it long enough to really pay attention)... I'm a 5'7 shortass by comparison and I couldn't quite get both feet on the floor... 

Just don't buy that same one i had... Fixed one problem and created another, feckin thing. 

• Like 1

No, get the sand out your ears, needs to be a 50.....

Have a 125 top end for my DT175 when she is 17.

• Like 1