A pair off FZR750RT s

anyoldiron
This post is 2794 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, i cannot contain myself. 2x 1987 FZR750RT  2 of 500 homogation specials, One will be totally bone stock, right down to orginal grips and windshield shortly ..................the other one, not so simple, has a blown 3rd pinion and wheel gears, and they are one year only model specific. lve ridden the rider a bit, its a blast. lts the magic of my 700 quid trailer that does it.

The hunt begins

FZR750RT_zpsc7nbidxr.jpg

• Like 4

very nice, want one ;)

gears can be remade, so keep the old ones as patterns. Should be a fun project

you should change your title as its too obscure and may get better traffic.

Oh they are pretty, you really are one lucky begger. As Drewpy said use the old ones as patterns and find a good engineering shop to get them remade. Shouldn't cost much and then you'll have 2!!!

Thanks Lads,

lve already decided to get the parts bike back on the road, as you may have guessed, its the hunt, rescue and resurrection that really floats my boat. So i will out the good one when ive enjoyed it for the rest of the brief season here.

When i spoke to matee on the phone he said ''the motor of the parts bike is in bits'', my heart sank, then he siad it was taken apart in a shop by a old German bloke, i perked up a bit, everything is in little labeled bags............................now theres a first.

But after being on the road for 20hrs yesterday and up at 5am to watch the GP, im a little to cross eyed to examine them closely LMAO

• Like 2

Naw, that would be a vid of the pair of them running surely ;)  

..................................on that note, does anyone know of a engineering/machine shop that can make gears? You know what these things are like, i would rather send them halfway round the world to a recommendation, than pull a firm out of the phone book!

Just beautiful mate, but back to the problem, have you in fact asked Yamaha what it would cost to supply a new gear? Know it sounds daft but every now and then they surprise me with a price that is better than a used one!

4 hours ago, slice said:

Just beautiful mate, but back to the problem, have you in fact asked Yamaha what it would cost to supply a new gear? Know it sounds daft but every now and then they surprise me with a price that is better than a used one!

No, its a holiday here, but i do know that the gear/s are only for this bike and the 1988 RU, approx 1000 units total worldwide, obliviously they made more gears. The bike has been off the road since 2005 due to a sprocket cover, lower left fairing and these gears damaged and the notations i have from the inspection say all parts are unavailable.

l have found one gear in a shop in Russia, im a little dubious of sending $470 to Russia, anyway they havent replied yet. l will ask my dealer and a few others that im friendly with on the off chance that they have one collecting dust or a customer that has parts bike. lve found one guy who had a whole bunch of parts that he sold to a race shop, again closed  for holiday.

None of the big parts brokers Partzilla, boats.net have any. So im just looking at options. lm braced for heavy fiscal impact of the negative verity, no doubt will end up getting them made, and then finding them a week later on evilbay for $50. l always like options, as i know that the first one is always going to be the most i have to pay ;) l know that the listed dealer price is $590.98 +taxes +the ride when they where available

I found some obsolete parts at http://nwvintagecycleparts.com.

The guy there was real nice and knew that an older YG5T headlight would fit a 1972 Yamaha I had. Might be worth a try?

• Like 2

Thanks Sacha, i had forgotten about them, i have used them in the past also, great to deal with, but alas they dont have either.

lve dropped the shop in Russia a line, they want $470  for $257.99 gear, but as they say ''beggers cannot be choosers'' ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Gents!! l will get right on it, 

Blackhat, how much did it cost you to have your too gears made?

Both have now been messaged...............................even had time to go for ice cream, significantly faster than last time ;)

cd027f42-c48b-4853-a536-468d780d0a0c_zps

• Like 1

Ok I have to ask "how fast did it go?"

lts a historic piece in my eye, so i didnt run it out in all gears 141 GPS with more left in it. 

10 hours ago, louie J. said:

Surely they are classic, i'm pretty amaze to see them still in pristine condition.

With only 500 made, i would be surprised if there 250 running, a lot have been butchered, made into stunt bikes etc.wankers, thats what modern midsizes are for

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online