V Star 1100. Setting valve clearances

Derekm
This post is 2780 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a Clymer manual for the bike & it says to turn the engine clockwise (looking from nearside) to get TDCs and align timing marks.

Looking on YouTube, the  clip below says to turn anticlockwise. Which is correct please?

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's definitely ANTI  Clockwise the engine runs forwards not backwards.if you turn it clockwise you risk buggering the chain tensioners on the cam chains.

Yup, go by the manuel not what the ill informed school of you tube teachers say.

Some you tube vids are spot on but a fair few you need to see through the self tought mechanics that like to try and help

Because there were no early replies, I did it the "hard" way (!). Plugs out, into 3rd and turned rear wheel forwards.

Engine turns clockwise; Clymer is right (unsurprisingly).

Well done Derek, always best to sort this sort of thing out yourself, as above youtube is ok but not the be all and end all.

When I first posted the question, I wasn't intending checking the clearances for a few days, hence didn't want to bother with removing plug covers, plugs, jacking up the bike etc..

Not having redone tappets on a bike for 50 years, on my T100 as a teenager, I was trying to get everything sorted in my head in advance!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online